Chapter 13: I Promise

(this chapter is kinda dry but I've got something really good coming up so just hang in there) 

Y/N's POV:

I ran to my room as fast as I could trying to avoid my dad and... Daphne. I almost made it until dad stopped me in the hallway.

"Hey kiddo."

"Don't call me that. I'm not a child."

"I am your father, you cannot talk to me like that."

"Whatever, I'm going to bed."

"Y/N we have to talk about it eventually."

"Or we just couldn't. Goodnight."

"Wait, at least take this. So you don't have to make a trip to the kitchen and see me."

There was hurt in his voice but I didn't care. He hurt me more than he could ever know and I didn't know how or if I could come back from that.

He handed me a glass of water.

"Thanks dad." I took the glass hoping he would finally leave me alone and I retreated into my room for some peace and quiet. I was just about to get into bed when I heard my phone buzz.

Peter: Hey, you still up.

Y/N: Yeah, had a fight with my dad.

Peter: Is everything ok?

Y/N: Yeah, I mean no but it's nothing that I can help from happening.

Peter: Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I'm here for you Y/N.

Y/N: I know Peter. Thank you :)

Peter: Goodnight Y/N.

Y/N: Goodnight Peter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mommy, what about Daddy? Is he coming with us too."

"No sweetie, he's not coming."

"Why not Mommy?"

"I'll tell you later sweetie but we have to leave first and then Mommy will explain everything, I promise... I promise... I promise

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I promise," I muttered. "I promise."

Wake up Y/N.

"I promise."

WAKE UP

*gasps* "I'm awake."

Weird dream. Very weird.

It was Saturday so that meant a whole day with my dad and his new girlfriend.

Not if I can help it.

I got up, took a shower, grabbed the first clothes I saw and ran out the door only to say, "Dad I'm going over to a friend's house, I'll be back later."

I didn't get a response but I was sure he heard me. It was a small house. When I got outside, I just stood there for a moment and breathed. In and out. In and out.

Just like Mom showed me.

I took in the view around me. A few more houses to my left, the same on the right as well as behind me. I realized that I had never actually explored my new surroundings.

No time like the present.

I decided to go left as I usually went right to get to school. I made sure I had my pepper spray and swiss army knife in my pocket before I left. Being a woman and being in New York left no reason to not bring along some safety. It was early in the morning and not many people were out. I saw a few people walking their dogs or taking a run. A few cars went by every now and then but nothing remotely interesting. That was until I came to the end of our neighborhood. At the end of our neighborhood, there was this huge, worn down warehouse that I was told was used as an in-between for some pretty shady weapon deals back in the day. It was eventually discovered and since then, it hasn't been used for anything. That is until I heard drilling coming from the inside.

Knife in one hand and pepper spray in the other, I crept towards the massive doors that from what I saw, were bolted together. I went around the building trying to find another way in but sadly, no such luck. I had almost given up until I saw a window that looked broken.

With the right amount of force, I could open this window without making a sound.

My curiosity got the better of me.

"You're not really thinking about going in there by yourself are you?"

I jumped back from the window, and sprayed pepper spray at the interloper, right into his eyes. That was if his eyes were showing. Luckily for him, they weren't.

"Ah Jesus why would you do that?"

Maybe not so lucky after all.

"Spiderman? What... what the hell are you doing here?"

"Same as you. Checking out the sketchy warehouse that someone has now turned into some sort of lab. That is until I was blinded."

"Crap yeah, sorry about that. Here, let me help." I reached over to him and started to pull his mask up but he stopped me right before they went over his lips.

"Don't." He gasped.

"Look I know you're supposed to keep your identity a secret or whatever but I need to see your eyes. Just to make sure you're ok."

"I'm fine," he said as he pushed away from me. "I just need to give it time and It'll wash itself out."

"If you say so. So, what shall we do until that happens?"

"You should go home. It might not be safe and you're all by yourself."

"I'm not by myself. That's what I got you for Spiderboy."

He laughed. That's a good sign. I really thought he was mad at me there for a second.

"That you do."

Peter's POV:

I definitely was not there to check out the warehouse. Truth was, I was on patrol and I saw Y/N heading down a neighborhood and she looked upset. I know I couldn't talk to her and ask what was wrong, but I could follow her and make sure she didn't do anything stupid. Like try to break into an abandoned warehouse where there might be druggies or weapon dealers in making some sketchy trade.

I stopped her before she did that but all I got in return was pepper spray in the face.

"Ah Jesus why would you do that?"

Her second stupid decision of the day was trying to lift up my mask. I knew she couldn't and that if she did, she would be in danger for knowing my identity, but for a split second, I wanted to be selfish. I wanted her to know. I wanted her to see the real me, to see me for who I truly was. I hated lying to her but I knew that I had to or else I would be risking her life. Lying to her was better than doing that. She meant too much to me.

"I'm not by myself. That's why I've got you Spiderboy."

"That you do."

And you always will. I promise.