CHAPTER 8

Olivia and Lance walked to his car in the parking lot. Opening the passenger side door, he gestured for Olivia to get in. He walked over to his side, and got in as well. He turned the key, started the car, and so the night began.

To save them from the awkward silence that soon settled upon them, Lance plugged in the aux chord to his phone, and put his favourite spotify playlist on shuffle play. When the melody of the first song started to play, Lance's heart almost fell into his stomach. It was "I'm Only Me When I'm With You" by Taylor Swift

He knew this song by heart, and so did Olivia. It used to be one of the pair's favourite songs from when they were younger. The pace of Olivia's heart quickened, as one thought popped up in her head. He remembered.

*flashback*

Olivia and Lance were about 13 years old. It was a Friday night, and they were in Olivia's room after going to the lake. Olivia's parents had invited the Strolls over for dinner, and the pair had decided to finish their schoolwork while waiting.

"I just want a boyfriend." Said Olivia suddenly, as she finished up her book report on "2000 Leagues Under The Sea". At the moment she was sitting on her bed, while Lance was sitting on the couch.

Lance looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face. "Where did this come from?" he asked. Olivia had never been one to seek a relationship. She claimed unrequieted love was "good song material" anyway.

She let out a groan. "I don't know it's just..." "Just what?" he asked. Olivia sighed "Jordan Pierce, and Ria Wayland from Drama Club got together, and they're so cute, and couples in general are so cute, and I feel so deprived, it makes me wanna die."

Lance raised his eyebrows. "Death by romantic deprivation, huh. That's a new one." He said, going back to his physics worksheet.

Olivia threw her highlighter at him. "Hey!" he exclaimed, as he dodged the bright yellow marker that Olivia had thrown at him.

"Lance I'm serious." She said setting down her pen. "I just want a boy to hold my hand in the hallways when I'm walking to class, lend me his sweatshirts when it's cold outside, and take me to prom, and do all the cute things that couples do." She said.

Lance got up from the couch, and went to sit down beside her. "Well then." he said. "I already do most of those things with you, so what else is it you want out of a relationship." He asked.

Olivia stared at him for a moment before saying, "Well for one thing, I want to dance with him, as he holds me in his arms."

"Okay then." He said, getting up, and taking his iPod out of his pocket. Olivia had a small stereo on her bedside table. He plugged in his phone, and played a song on one of his playlists that he knew Olivia liked.

As soon as the melody started to play, Olivia's eyes lit up. "I love this song!" she exclaimed. Lance held out his hand, and pulled her off the bed.

"What are you doing?" she said. Lance shrugged as he placed her hand on her shoulder, and took her other hand in his. "You don't need a boyfriend to dance to random songs, you do know that right?" he said, grinning.

Olivia giggled as he twirled her around. "And you'll never be alone." He said. His forehead resting on hers. Olivia smiled softly. "You're amazing you know that?" she said. "Yeah I know." He said, smirking slightly. "Oh just shut up, and let me compliment you." She said.

By now the song had reached the second verse. They continued to sway to the melody, smiles on both of their faces.

"Just a small town boy and girl,

Living in a crazy world,

Trying to figure out what is and isn't true

And you know everything about me,

You say you don't wanna live without me"

A thought formed in Olivia's head. The song that was playing was one of her absolute favorites. It had been "her song" since the fourth grade, but it seemed to perfectly describe her friendship with Lance.

"I'm only up when you're not down,

Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground,

It's like no matter what I do"

Lance smiled as Olivia rested her chin on his shoulder. She had been his best friend since they were in diapers, and as the lyrics said, he knew everything about her, and definitely he didn't want to live without her.

"Well you drive me crazy half the time,

The other half I'm only trying,

To let you know that what I feel is true"

Olivia looked up at him. "This should be our song." She said. "Think about it, we've been friends since forever, I know almost everything about you, I don't want to live without you, cause life would be boring, and you definitely drive me absolutely nuts sometimes."

"But it's been your song for the past 3 years." Said Lance. "Well it's ours now. And besides," Replied Olivia. "I'm getting pretty attached to You Belong With Me anyway." Lance laughed. "Okay, it's our song then."

"And I'm only me when I'm with you"

*end of flashback*

"When I'm with anybody else," Olivia shocked both herself, and Lance by singing the first line of the bridge of the song. She always did have an attachment to bridges.

"It's so hard to be myself" continued Lance. Olivia looked at him. 'he did remember' she thought.

"And only you can tell," she sang.

"I'm only up when you're not down" the awkward tension disappeared, as their voices rang out, loud, clear, and without a care in the world. (and slightly off tune on Lance's part) Just like when they were kids.

"Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground it's like no matter what I do," Olivia let a smile find it's way onto her face.

"Well you drive me crazy half the time, the other half I'm only trying, to let you know that what I feel is true" Lance looked at her, and saw the sparkle in her eyes. The same sparkle that was there when she would sing when they were in middle school. 'Some things never really do change' he thought to himself.

"And I'm only me when I'm with you." They finished the song together smiling, the years that had passed long forgotten.

a/n: Hey guys! Sorry for the late update. School just started again last week. But on another note... OMG THE FLASHBACK SCENE IS SO CUTE AND FLUFFY I CAN'T AAAHHHH