CHAPTER 17

Cheering.

The crowds and the fans. Their voices drowned out everything except for the loud music blaring into Olivia’s ears. It was the last song of that night’s show, and it was the last concert on her tour. After this night, all she needed to do was the press conference then she could go home.

“THANK YOU TOKYO AND HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!” She exclaimed. She raised her hand up, giving the crowd a wave before walking to exit the stage.

It had been about two weeks since Melbourne, and Olivia and Lance had taken to messaging each other at least once every day. It was pretty amazing to see the two go back to the relationship they used to have so quickly.

Numerous greetings of. “You did amazing tonight!” “That was outstanding Olivia!” and other similar expressions greeted her as she walked backstage to get her costume and makeup off.

Making her way back to the dressing room, she made sure to make small talk with some of the backup singers, and her dancers, not forgetting the band either. Olivia was extremely grateful to them for the success of the tour, and she wanted them to know that.

Olivia was sitting in the dressing room after changing back into her normal clothes when she heard a knock on the door. “Come in!” she said as she laced up her sneakers.

The door opened to reveal Kelly who wore a smile on her face, and had Olivia’s phone in her hand. “Hey.” She said walking in, and closing the door. “So your mom was calling earlier.” She said handing the phone to Olivia.

Olivia gave her a perplexed look. “Really? Huh… weird. She knew I had a show, and she doesn’t usually call when she knows I’ll be busy.” She said, taking her phone from her friend. (She had entrusted it to Kelly the hour before the show, as to make sure it wouldn’t get misplaced.)

“I’m sure it’s nothing. Let’s get back to the hotel, Jason’s waiting for us.” Said Kelly, handing Olivia a bottle of water, which her friend gratefully took. She was so thirsty from the performance. Kelly really did know her so well.

True enough, Jason was waiting for the girls at the car. The three friends got inside the vehicle, and drove off to the hotel.

“So, any plans for when we get back to LA?” asked Olivia. “Ah, well you guys remember that cute girl at the coffee shop near the studio right?” asked Kelly. “Oooohhhh did he finally ask you out?” Olivia asked, a look of excitement coming up on her face almost instantly. “Mhm! We’re going out for lunch two days after we get back!” said Kelly, a slight blush dusting her cheeks.

Olivia squealed. “This is goanna be sooo great! I’ll help with your outfit, and makeup!” she exclaimed. “Well what about you ‘Miss just finished her first world tour?’ any plans?” asked Jason, looking over his shoulder to the backseat of the car where the girls sat together.

Olivia shrugged. “Nothing much really… Just goanna relax at home.” She said. Jason let out a deep sigh. “Rest, and relaxation… that does sound nice.” He said. Olivia and Kelly nodded in agreement.

It was fun travelling, and going on tour, but the rest that awaited them back home in California sounded really good at the moment.

Before they knew it, they had arrived at the hotel, and the friends had gone into their separate rooms for the night. Olivia was drying her hair when she remembered what Kelly had told her in the changing room.

“Your mom was calling earlier…”

Picking up her phone she decided to call her mother to see what was really going on. After a few rings, her mom picked up.

“Hey mom! What’s up?” she asked. “Via…” her mom started. Sensing the hesitation in her mother’s voice, she spoke up. “Mom what’s wrong?” she asked.

“Well you see…” “Mom for Pete’s sake what is it? You’re starting to worry me.” She said.

Little did Olivia know, the next few words were going to shatter her into pieces.

“It’s Hailey…” she said. Olivia sighed. “What did she do this time?” she said referring to her eight year old sister.

“Honey your sister got into an accident and-” “I’m sorry what? I thought I just heard you say ‘Hailey got into an accident.’” She interrupted.

“Honey. Your sister got hit by a car on the way home from her friend’s house.” Said her mother.

Olivia felt her heart shatter into a million pieces.

“Oh my god…” she said, as she and her mother were enveloped in an almost unbearable silence. “Olivia? Dear, are you still there?” asked her mother after Olivia fell silent.

Olivia closed her eyes, and took a breath. “Yeah mom. Yeah I’m here, I’m okay.” She said.

“I’ll be there by tomorrow afternoon.” Was the last thing Olivia said before ending the call, and walking into Kelly’s room next door, where she knew Jason also was, as the two were having movie night which Olivia had passed up on that night.

“There’s been a change of plans, you guys will need to fly with the rest of the crew.” Said Olivia. Kelly looked up. “What? I thought we were taking the jet with you.” She said. “Like I said, there’s been a change of plans. You and Jason aren’t coming with me this time anymore.” She said.

“Via, would you just tell us what’s going on?” exclaimed Jason in a mix of disbelief and frustration that Olivia wasn’t telling them what was happening.

“JASON I REALLY DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!” said Olivia. Realizing how that must have sounded, her expression softened. “Hailey got into an accident. She got hit by a car on her way home from school.” She said, a tear slipping down her face. “I need to go back to Montreal.” She said.

“I just… I can’t afford to not be there.” She said.

-=-=-=-=-=

The next twelve hours were a blur. Olivia had gotten on a chartered flight to Montreal, and she had arrived at the hospital sometime in the late afternoon. Her hand rested on the doorknob. Hesitation laced her thoughts as she almost feared the state she would find her sister in,

She took a breath and turned the knob, and what she saw next made her burst into tears.

The small frame of her little sister was hooked up to multiple machines, and the steady beeping of the heart monitor was the only thing breaking the silence in the room.

She let out a strangled sob, alerting her mother of her presence in the room. Olivia simply couldn’t believe her eyes. She didn’t want to believe what her mother had told her had happened, but now it was undeniable.

Olivia’s mom told her about the past two days. Everything had happened so fast, one minute she was crossing the street from a friend’s house, and the next, some drunk driver had drove right into her.

Soon visiting hours were over and Olivia, and her mom had to go home. They drove into the same familiar street Olivia used to walk home from school on. Nothing had changed much. Of course, it wasn’t the Stroll’s living in the large property down the street, and some of the other houses had been repaired, but it still looked the same to Olivia.

The house hadn’t changed either. Same furniture, same décor, same overly organized household tools.

“Here’s your room.” Said her mother. Nothing had changed much. Her shelf was still filled wih numerous fantasy books, and her wall was still filled with posters galore.

Memories of her childhood flooded her mind as she looked around the small room that held so many years of emotions. She looked out the window. The treehouse in their backyard was still there, with the wooden ladder leading up to it. She would make sure to go there later.

This time though, there would be one significant change. Lance wouldn’t be there there.