CHAPTER 4

Lance was having a fairly good day. He had woken up on time, he was able to have his breakfast, and morning coffee uninterrupted, he had finished his training session early, and he was now waiting for Esteban in the hotel lobby since they were going out for lunch.

He had just gotten out of the elevator, when he saw a petite girl with long brown hair, and blue highlights standing there with a purse in her hand, and her eyes on her phone. The girl looked strangely familiar to him. As if he had seen her somewhere before.

She looked up, and brushed her hair out of her face, and Lance's heart almost stopped. No wonder she looked so familiar. It was Olivia.

She looked even more gorgeous than the last time he saw her. Well, he had seen her in pictures, on the internet, and on TV, but then again, who hasn't. It was pretty much inevitable now that she was a global superstar.

He had followed her career since she released her debut album when she was fifteen. Not that Olivia knew of course. He had followed her on instagram, twitter, and read every article about her that came up on his feed. Before he could stop himself, her name slipped out of his lips. "Olivia?"

She turned around and when she looked at him, her eyes widened in shock. On impulse, Lance found himself walking towards her. "Lance." She said. Her eyes were a dead giveaway that she was struggling to keep her composure. He couldn't really blame her. He had cut her off without a word, and without giving her a reason.

"Um hi?" he said. Oh gosh this is so awkward. He thought to himself. "Hi" she said. "H-how have you been." She asked. Lance was in such disbelief that he had seen her again that it took him a split second to reply. "Um pretty good. You?" She put a smile he knew was as fake as it could get. "Great actually." She said.

"Hey listen, Olivia, I know it's been a while, but I was wondering if we could maybe meet up sometime?" he said. "Y'know, just to catch up on stuff." Please say yes, please say yes, please say- "Yeah sure, I'd love that." She said, without a hint of hesitation.

"Olivia!" a voice made them both turn their heads. "Daniel!" Olivia's eyes darted towards the Australian as he walked towards them. "You two know each other?" he asked, gesturing between Lance, and Olivia.

"Lance is old friend." said Olivia before Lance could even open his mouth. "You go on outside. I'll catch up." She told Daniel. He nodded his head, and headed out the door.

"Here's my number." She said, handing Lance a folded piece of paper. "Message me later." She said with a smile, as she walked away, her electric blue hair flowing behind her.

"Lance Stroll, what the actual fuck." Lance's head whipped around so fast he was shocked he didn't get whiplash. He let out a breath. "Esteban how many times have I told you not to scare me like that." He exclaimed scolding his friend.

Esteban put up his hands in surrender. "But seriously though," he said "You didn't tell me you were friends with Olivia Cortez!" Lance rolled his eyes. "Yeah about that, I'm not even sure we are friends anymore."

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?" asked Esteban, but at this point Lance wasn't paying attention. His eyes had now drifted over to Olivia, who now had Daniel's hand wrapped around her shoulder, with a smile on her face.

"What are you looki-" Esteban trailed off, as he followed his friend's gaze. Daniel and Olivia were walking together and smiling. Esteban gave Lance a knowing look before tugging on his arm. "Come on. We're having a serious discussion about this over lunch."

Esteban noticed that Lance seemed distracted, and by the time they sat down at the table, he asked. "So what did you mean by 'I'm not even sure we are friends anymore.'?" He asked, putting his fork in his mouth.

Lance shrugged. "Well we were friends back in Montreal," he started. "Best friends actually." "Best friends?" "Yeah, we did everything together. We used to go to the lake together every other Friday. I remember once, we even snuck out to watch the stars when we were about... thirteen I think?"

The smile on Lance's face grew as he remembered the memories he shared with her.

13 years old

Lance had just woken up to the sound of knocking on his window. He checked the clock on his bedroom wall, and let out a groan. It was just a bit past midnight. Who on earth would be awake at this time. Opening it he saw Olivia standing there in her pajamas.

"Via!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing awake?" she smiled that smile of hers that could light up a whole room. "I couldn't sleep." She said, chuckling at the expression on his face.

"Seriously?" he asked. "You come here knocking on my window at 12:42 because you can't sleep." Olivia shrugged. "Well in the process of not being able to sleep I may or may have not have done something that I really want to show you."

Lance stared at her in disbelief. "Now? At this time of the night?" he thought about it. He was with Olivia anyway, and he could be back in time to get a few more hours of sleep afterwards.

"All right, just let me get my shoes." Olivia smiled, as she waited for him. He hurriedly pulled on a pair of battered Nike sneakers, and climbed out the window.

"C'mon, let's go!" said Olivia excitedly, as she tugged on his arm, pulling him away from his window, and towards the four-foot cedar fence that separated his house, from hers. Stepping her foot on one of the wooden slabs, Olivia hoisted herself up and over the fence.

"You know for someone who wants to be a race car driver, you can be really slow sometimes." Said Olivia with a chuckle, as Lance struggled, to climb over to the other side where she was waiting for him. "Oh shut up." He mumbled under his breath.

"Hurry up! Someone might see us out of bed." She exclaimed. "Okay, yes, coming, I'm coming." he followed her as she sprinted to the large oak tree where the tree house was. "Almost there." she said, as the two of them climbed up the ladder.

The tree house was a small room, not more than 14 square feet. A large rug covered most of the floor with throw pillows, and beanbags surrounding it.

Lance let out a gasp as he looked up at the roof. About half of the boards had been ripped out, and in their place was a large skylight that gave a beautiful view of the stars above.

"Olivia how on earth did you manage to do this?" he asked in awe.

"I found the leftover sealant in the garage, and a huge acrylic sheet in the attic." She said. "So, what do you think?" she asked. "It's amazing." He responded.

After a while, they found themselves sprawled on the rug, looking up at the sky. "We should probably head back now shouldn't we?" Said Olivia sadly. Lance looked at the girl who's head was now resting on his chest, with his arm wrapped around her waist.

After thinking for a minute, he spoke up. "No. No, let's just stay here for tonight." Olivia looked at him. "Besides, I'm sure my parents won't mind, since I'm with you anyway...unless yours will?" he asked. She smiled. "No. I'm sure they won't mind at all." And so that night they fell asleep in each other's arms under the light of the stars.

///end of flashback///

"Lance, LANCE!" Esteban waved his hand in front of his friend's face. "Man, are you even paying attention?" Lance looked at him. "Yeah... no. Sorry." Esteban rolled his eyes at Lance playfully.

"Look I was just saying, are you sure you just see her as a friend?" he asked. "Yeah, what else would I see her as?" Lance's eyes widened, as he realized what Esteban was suggesting. "No, of course not. I mean, I like her, but not like that."

"And you're absolutely sure about this?" asked Esteban. Lance let out a sigh. "Look man, just leave it." He said 'and besides,' he thought. 'Even if I did, she would never see me in that way. Not after what I did to her all those years ago.'

a/n: hey guys! im not sure if i'll be able to update next week so i'm doing it now. 

its almost christmas so i'll be spending a lot of time with my family these next few weeks, but i'll be back to reagular updates as soon as possible.