Chapter 9

We stopped at an old diner in Northampton, Massachusetts. I was sitting in a booth, waiting for Rory to get out of the restroom. People passed by the booth laughing and chatting with friends and... Family. I wanted to ask more about Rory's family; how did he find them; siblings or parent's? I was about to explode with all these thoughts, but if Rory said he was going to explain then I would trust him to explain.

Rory sat down across from me, and saw the upset look in my eyes. He knew how to read me since we've known each other for so long. "I told you when I picked you up that I found my family." he said. "I didn't listen to that part." I stated, as I kept glaring out the window. "Let me explain." Rory responded. I looked at him with a look that asked, "The whole truth?" Rory sighed and nodded; and I straightened myself out and waited for the explanation. Rory waited for our food to be placed in front of us before he decided to explain himself.

After a second sigh Rory started his story, "After sneaking out of the Spy Academy I walked for miles until catching a ride that brought, well, here actually, and I got a job as a waiter for a restaurant a couple blocks down. After two years I had enough money to leave and head to Philadelphia. My gut told me to stay there until I get enough money to go back for you. It was my fifth year away from you and I was once again a waiter, but on my free days I would actually fix computers for people. Anyway, I was serving a couple; they were in their 50's and they looked a little sad. I heard some of the employees say that the couple's son had disappeared when he was just a baby and they were never able to find him. I decided to look into this, and after asking around my background and the couple's background were identical. I found out where they lived and met them. Then I found out they were my mom and dad."

Rory paused; there were tears in his eyes, and I felt bad for pushing him to tell his story. Rory took a couple deep breaths and continued, "I found out I was an only child, and that I was two when I disappeared. I got to know them and find out more of my background, but then time flew and three year later I had enough money to go back and pick you up. I saw you in the background of an image of a news report and tracked you down. My parents were confused why I had to leave, and I explained who you were and how much you meant to me. They told me if you were like a sister to me then they would treat you like their daughter." I covered my mouth with the palm with my hand when he said the last part, and he waited for me to recover.

"That's it, I then left and got you. I promise that's the whole story up to this point." Rory said. I nodded in understanding, and I felt my eyes sting from tears I was trying to hold back. "I'm sorry I pushed you." I apologized , wiping tears away. "No, it's okay, I was going to tell you anyway." Rory answered, reassuring me. "But, your parents really said that about me. That they would treat me like their daughter?" I stuttered out. Rory nodded and took another bite of his waffle, and then said, "Zylina, when we find your parents we're going to keep in touch, okay?" "If, Rory, If we find my parents." I answered, before taking a sip of water. "Don't say that, we'll find them." Rory scoffed. "There's always a chance that we won't." I said, putting my cup down. That last statement caused an awkward silence between us. 

TBC...