Chapter 20

We got to the house and walked up the stairs, up to the front porch where the door was. We both glanced at each other and sighed in unison before Rory knocked on the door. A couple moments later, a young woman, maybe in her mid-thirties, opened the door. "Hello, can I help you?" she said. 

"Hi, my name is Rory and this is my sister Zylina. We heard about your missing child case, and was wondering if we could talk to you for a little bit." Rory said; I knew he wouldn't lie unless it was the last option. 

"Um, are you with the police?" the woman asked. I mentally groaned; we wouldn't be able to talk to someone about their kid unless we were with police.

"No ma'am, but we've experienced something similar, and we just want to know what you know, so maybe we can help." Rory answered. The woman stood there for a few moments, probably thinking whether or not to allow us in, then she nodded and opened the door the whole way so we could come. 

"I am Lucy Shepherd, my husband is at work right now." the woman said, closing the door. "Nice to meet you." Rory said, shaking her hand. Lucy then stuck her hand towards me, I shook it, and then she led us to the living room where we started talking.

"So you've experienced something like this before?" Lucy asked, as we sat down on a sofa and she sat in front of us in a chair. 

"Yeah, when we were younger. We were both taken from our family, but the police found us abandoned by our captors a few years later." Rory lied; I was startled that he lied. It wasn't like him, but I guess we couldn't explain the spy academy part. 

 "Do you think whoever took you two, took my twin son and daughter?" Lucy asked, with a hint of confusion in her voice. Rory gave me an eye gesture telling me it was my turn to talk.

"Ma'am, you've heard about children under the age of 5 going missing all over the U.S ,right?" I asked. My eyes went from the ground to her confused face as she said, "Uh, yes. I think everyone has heard of that."

 I heard Rory sigh, and ask, "Mrs. Shepherd, how long has this been going on in Findlay?" Lucy thought about this for a few moments, before answering, 

"Five years I think. I don't really know, honestly, my husband and I moved here with our twins about a year ago. Our twin children are about 3 years old now." Out of the corner of my eye I saw Rory nod in understanding.

"Did you hear anything that night?" I asked. "Yes, my husband and I were sleeping, and then we were both awoken by the sound of screaming. We raced to our children's room, but when we got there..." I could see there were tears forming in her eyes, and could sense she was trying to keep her composure. I wanted to tell her that it was alright, but I didn't think that would be of any help.

"...but when we got there, both children were gone. Their room was a mess and their window was broken like someone just busted in and took them." Lucy stuttered out, wiping a tear from her eyes. 

"Thank you for your time. We may not be the police, but we'll do everything in our power to get your kids back. One more question though." Rory said. Lucy looked at Rory with sorrow filled eyes, and waited for the question. Rory leaned forward and asked, "What were your children's names?" 

TBC....