Chapter 19

Few hours later....

We drove to downtown Findlay, and we both kept an eye out for anyone that looked like Academy agents. "Remind me again where we're going." I said, not averting my eyes from the window. People were passing, talking on their phones, carrying shopping bags, but no one really stood out to me which was kind of a relief. "The couple that filed the most recent case, which was about a day and half ago." Rory explained; I turned my head and noticed that his eyes kept glancing at the rearview mirror.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. Rory sighed, and answered, "Someone's tailing us. That truck behind us, has been following us since we pulled out of the motel parking lot." I glanced at the side view mirror; he's right, that truck pulled out of the parking lot right after we did and has been following us for ten minutes.

"What now?" I asked, averting my eyes back to the windshield. Rory didn't answer right away, but after a few moments he answered with, "I think I have an idea." He then pulled into the nearest side road parking spot behind another car. The truck pulled into a parking spot a couple cars behind us. I was starting to get an idea of what his plan was. Rory set his wallet into his pocket, sighed once more, and said, "Stay here Zylina." "Wait what? No I-" "Zyl, I will be right back. No arguing right now." Rory cut me off. I snapped my mouth shut, but also gave him a glare for calling me Zyl.

"Don't worry I'll be fine. Give me five minutes, and if I'm not back then you can come look for me." Rory reassured me, putting his hand on my shoulder. I nodded in understanding, and watched as he hoped out of the car and paced down the sidewalk down an alleyway. My muscles tensed as I saw Rory round a corner, disappear, and then a tall man appeared in my line of vision and followed Rory down the alley way and round the same corner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five minutes felt like an hour because I kept watching the clock. When the radio clock hit the five minute mark I rushed out of the car and ran toward the alley way. I sprinted down the alleyway and turned the corner, but found two more paths waiting for me. As I was trying to decide which way I should go, a hand touched my shoulder; I spun around putting up my fists, but stopped when I saw Rory putting his hands in the air like a surrendering gesture.

"Rory, you keep doing that." I said, putting my fists. "Zylina, I told you to stay in the car." Rory responded, ignoring my statement. "You also told me if you were gone for five minutes I could come and find you." I argued back. Rory opened his mouth to argue, but clamped in shut once he thought about it for a few moments; I smiled on the inside knowing these were one of very few times I won an argument. We walked back to the car, but after a couple of moments I asked, "What happened to the guy who was tailing us?" "I, uh, knocked him out by leading him down several alley way paths and then ambushing him." Rory chuckled, as we neared the car.

We both climbed in, and I glanced at his arm; there was a bruise near his elbow and I noticed a small cut above his cheek bone. "You alright?" I asked, my eyes going back and forth between the two wounds. Rory lifted his hand and brushed the scratch over with his finger- tips before responding, "Yeah, that guy nicked me with a knife but I'm fine." I gave him a look of concern, but he didn't say anything and we drove off in silence. 

TBC....