41.

❝ Why don't we hold each other,

use each other, whisper pretty lies❞

When I wake up from my afternoon nap, Fai is sitting on the chair by the window, smoking a cigarette and watching me.

I stretch my arms above my head and stare at him back. "Why are you being a creep?" I ask him with a smile.

A smile that he doesn't return and a question that remains unanswered.

I sit up on the bed. Something is wrong. "What is it?"

Fai exhales the smoke of the cigarette out of his mouth, creating a cloud around his head, moving his eyes away from me. "I got a call."

My shoulders hunch a little, even though I try to stay indifferent and, most of all, brave. "When?" I ask him, grabbing the duvet a little tighter in my hand.

"Two weeks," Fai says, putting the cigarette to his mouth again.

In two weeks, I'll be done with the school, which could mean we'd have the whole summer together with no other obligations. "Last one?" I ask him.

I see his muscles tighten. "Yes," he answers. He doesn't look at me.

He's lying. Maybe not really lying, but he's not convinced in it, either. I look down at the duvet as I slowly release my grip on it.

We sit in silence for long moments before it's me that breaks it. "It's going to be safe, won't it? And it's going to be alright, I hope."

"It won't be much different from all the others, I think, but I'm not sure. I can't be sure about these things because something could always go wrong."

That doesn't really sound comforting. I climb off the bed and walk to him, placing my hands on the chair on either side of him, my face close to his. "It's going to be alright. Do you hear me? You're too good at this for things to go wrong."

Fai shifts his gaze on my face, his eyes looking at me tenderly. He lifts his hand and brings it to my cheek, caressing it softly, before his hand slides to the side of my neck. "I'm just a human, Kadie."