4.

❝'Cause I was filled with poison but blessed with beauty and rage❞

'Cause I was filled with poison 
but blessed with beauty and rage

I have a secret.

Well, I have many secrets, but I want to only talk about this one this time.

No one knows about it and no one can know about it, especially not Harper.

I'm working at a strip club.

I'm not a dancer, I only serve drinks there. I'm always dressed, even though if you go topless, it brings you better tips.

I work nights, sneaking out so no one can see me and come back before Harper wakes up. I'm not ashamed of my job, but if Harper found out, she'd have a heart attack.

But she doesn't understand. I'd do anything to get the hell out of this town. This is why I need to save. And I need a good job for this. I'm finishing high school this year and I'm going to college. Hopefully far away from here. And I need money for that.

Also, I really like the people there. I know other people see this as something wrong. I don't. I met girls there who are stripping on the stage to get money for college. They're all very bright and smart, they just have to get money to get a degree. There are single mothers who are doing this for their kids.

But people are so goddamn quick to put a label on them if they know where they're working.

People who come there aren't that bad, either. It's a high-budget strip-club. Not anyone can get into it. You have to have some privileges, you have to fit into some categories and, most importantly, you have to be rich.

This is why I'm not worried that someone may recognise me there. And I'm telling you, working in the environment when people don't know people is so refreshing. You don't have to tell anyone shit. You can lie about who you are if you want to. Most of us do, of course. Because we don't want to be recognised outside of the club. We can be anyone we want to in there. No one will ever know if you're telling the truth or not.