5.

❝'Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch? ❞

'Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch? 

Although the night started out pretty badly and wasn't looking promising, no one bothers me anymore and I get to read my book in peace. Well, my definition of peace since the bar is loud with music and people.

I don't see Fai and his group of friends anymore, either. They most likely left, which makes me all too happy so I don't have to deal with him anymore tonight. It's weird because I don't think I've seen him come here before. At least he never came to the bar counter to order drinks before, yet now I somehow have a feeling that I'll see more of him and that makes me anxious, not because of me, but because I don't want him and his business anywhere near Harper.

Harper is too innocent for the bullshit. She wouldn't know how to stand up against him and I am not thinking this in a rude way. Harper is just a good person and believes in resolving things nicely or just avoiding to make it happen in the first place. I don't want her to deal with these losers. She shouldn't have to.

Harper knocks on the counter next to my book, making me look at her. "Come on, you bookworm. I'm done, let's get the hell out of here."

I put the bookmark in the book and close it, jumping from the barstool.

When we come outside, cold air hits me in the face. I close my jacket tighter around me. "You know, Kadie, maybe you could find a job after school since you want to go to college and it's quite expensive."

"Harp, don't worry about that. I'm working on it." I don't look her in the eyes.

She turns her body to fully face me. "Working on it how?" she sounds suspicious.

"Don't worry about it, really. I'm not putting myself in danger and that's all you need to know."

Harper gives me a tired look. I feel bad for not telling her, but she really can't know anything about my job. "I promise!"

Harper only shakes her head, not adding anything more to the conversation.

But outside the bar, we stumble upon a scene that makes both of us stop. Harper even stops breathing beside me, stumbling backwards, while I remain standing in the spot, my eyebrows lifting.