27.

❝ Had a face like an angel, but inside my heart was as black as a broke movie screen ❞

Had a face like an angel, but inside my heart was as black as a broke movie screen

I call Harper from Fai's phone, sitting on his bed while he's drawing in the kitchen. I don't know if she'll answer when she'll see the unknown number.

I wait, letting it ring and, staring at the dark TV screen until I hear her reluctant voice. "Hello?" she asks carefully.

"Harp, it's me," I say.

There's a pause. And then, "Kadie?" she sounds hopeful. "What happened? Where are you? I've been trying to reach you for days!"

I grimace. I don't want to tell her, but she has to know. Especially if she decided to have this life, too. With Jon. "I don't know how to say this any differently, but I was kidnapped. For three days. Fai saved me and I'm here now."

I hear a gasp. "Kidnapped," she repeats, her voice faint. "Oh, my God. Kadie. Oh, my God," she panics.

"I'm okay, Harp. I'm all good now. I wasn't careful and they just wanted to get to Fai through me, but they didn't do anything."

"You got kidnapped and I didn't even know! I thought ... I thought you weren't answering your phone because you were with Fai. I should've known something happened."

I sit up on the bed. "Harp, shut up. This is not your fault, really. I promise I'm alright. I'll stay with Fai for a few days just to be safe and to keep you safe, okay?" It's mostly because I don't want her to accidentally see my bruises.

"Kadie," she says weakly and I know she's struggling to find words to say to me. I also know she wants to say something I won't like to hear, so I cut her off.

"I know what I'm doing. Just take care of yourself and I'll see you in a few days. Oh, and save this number, I'll call you from Fai's phone until I get myself a new one."

"I have so many questions, you can't just leave me hanging!" Harper says and I hear her sniff. Oh, boy. She's probably also scared that something will happen to her, too.