𝙿 𝙻 𝚄 𝚅 𝙸 𝙰 𝙼

𝚛 𝚊 𝚒 𝚗

'𝑖 𝑐𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘'

꧁꧂

Nᴇᴡ Yᴏʀᴋ, 1927

Rain. Rain always seems to fall at the worst times. It symbolises sadness in a way. Rain is sad.

It made sense for rain to be falling on this particular evening. A light fog shrouded the streets of New York City and the dense overhead clouds made it dark and gloomy. A crack of thunder rumbled through the sky and a flash of lightning brightened it for a split second. And in that split second Tina swore she could see her face. Her face in pain, her face surrounded by deep blue flames. Her face screaming, pleading, 'someone help me please'. No one did. No one could.

Tina dipped into a small alleyway and with a little snap she disapparated. To a no-maj's eye it would appear that she just disappeared into thin air. No coming back. But to any knowledgeable soul, she was merely taking a walk.

With another small snap she appeared outside a tall, dark door. She wrapped her hand around the cold, brass doorknob and turned it. The door swung open and the sweet smell of home wafted into her nose. She shut the door behind her and hung up her hat and coat.

Newt was slouched on the sofa. Jacob wasn't there. Jacob was never there. Since Paris, he was always at home. Wallowing in his own sorrow, swimming in his own tears, you get the gist. Newt and Tina had tried to visit him occasionally, however he was always too upset to even talk to them.

"Good day?" Newt inquired. Tina's eyes welled up with tears before she blinked them away and gulped unnoticeably.

"It was fine I suppose. Coffee?" She answered, walking into the kitchen.

"I'm alright, I have my tea." Newt forced a smile and turned back to his book, not letting Tina notice how he was.

"Newt, are you alright?" Tina asked, walking over to the sofa and plopping herself down next to him. The added weight caused him to jog and spill a spot of tea down himself. "I'm sorry, I'll-"

"It's fine, I'm fine, everything's fine." Newt interrupted, going back to reading his book. However he wasn't reading the book. He was thinking. Remembering, more like. Remembering yesterday ...

"So you're sure they're here?" He asked Piquery, his hand gripping his wand tightly. She nodded.

"Go in on my count. One. Two. Three!" she finished as they bust down the door, all swarming in like a flock of sheep. Nothing.

"You were sure they were here?" he asked again, letting his wand hand fall down by his side, glaring at her. She stumbled on her words, trying to find an explanation for the outcome. "I don't want to hear it, to be perfectly honest."

He turned on his heel and walked out the door again. The wind hit his face and he turned back around.

"What am I gonna tell Tina?"

Newton Artemis Fido Scamander never cried. It wasn't what he did. Wasn't like him. But the thought of not being able to get her back, not being able to make Tina happy again, being a failure. It was too much for him. And he cried.

It took both him and Tina by surprise. He hastily wiped the tears from his eyes and cheeks, stuffing his hands in his sleeves. Tina wrapped her arms around him. Newts breath hitched in his throat, before relaxing again.

"I couldn't bring her back." He admitted sadly, letting out a small sob and burying his face in his hands. Tina took his hands in hers and locked there eyes.

"I know. But you tried." She whispered sadly, placing a kiss to both his hands and hugging him tightly again.

Hᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʙʀɪɴɢ ʜᴇʀ ʙᴀᴄᴋ. Bᴜᴛ ʜᴇ ᴛʀɪᴇᴅ.

that was an emotional rollercoaster