No. 21: New Years

The snow fell heavily onto the earth around the Scamander household on the New Years Eve of 1929, turning the small village in the countryside into a pearly white wonderland.

Inside the house, the festivities were just beginning. The entire Scamander family, plus the Kowalski's and all their children, were celebrating the coming new decade Hazel and Johnathan Scamander were chasing their grandchildren ( yes, all 6 of them ) around the house. Newt, Jacob and Theseus were enjoying some butterbeer in the kitchen, and Tina, Queenie and Leta were giggling like schoolgirls about the recent romance movie that had come out.

"No, Theo, get down! JOHNATHAN HELP ME OUT!" Hazel screamed in a desperate attempt to retrieve Theodore Kowalski from the top of the curtain pole.

"No!" He giggled, gesturing for his twin sister - Belle - to climb up as well. She began to climb up as well. Now Hazel had two 5 year olds to get down from a curtain pole.

"Phoenix, let's go annoy our dads!" Ophelia Kowalski said to Phoenix Scamander. The boy nodded and they ran to the dads, jumping on their backs, spilling their butterbeer.

"Oh c'mon! It's 11:30 at night, Phoenix, I don't need you climbing all over me!!" Newt groaned, picking his 9 year old son off his back. The auburn haired boy giggled and latched onto his leg. Newt began to walk around, laughing at the squeals his son let out when he lifted up his leg too high.

Ophelia was still on Jacobs back. She had clambered into a sort of piggy-back position and was making an attempt to tie her fathers hair in a ponytail.

10 year old Alexa Scamander was showing her cousin Ella Scamander her grandmothers plant collection in the dining room. Ella was helping water some of them, and Alexa was keeping her hand steady and telling her random facts Hazel had told her about each one. Then suddenly there came an excited chatter from the living room.

"Five minutes to midnight, everyone gather in the garden!" Theseus exclaimed. Everyone ran into the garden carrying either wine or a sibling/cousin. Newt wrapped his arm around Tina's waist, and kissed her forehead. Tina smiled and picked up Ella, watching the small alarm clock on the table. At ten seconds everyone started counting down, Theodore, Belle and Phoenix doing stupid voices on each number.

"Ten!"

"Nine!"

"Eight!"

"Seven!"

"Six!"

"fiVE!"

"FOUR!"

"THREE!"

"TWO!"

"ONE!"

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!"

Newt spun Tina around and bought her in for a kiss, as did Jacob to Queenie and Theseus to Leta. All the kids ran around laughing, Ella on Alexa's back, Theodore and Belle linking arms and skipping around in circles, Ophelia was on Phoenix' back, almost pushing him to the ground under her weight.

Then they saw that the neighbours were doing some fireworks, and watched in awe as they exploded in a rainbow of colours in the dark sky above them. Ella was hiding in her dads coat due to an irrational fear of fireworks. Newt was running his fingers through her hair, soothing her as she whimpered at every loud bang.

Once the fireworks stopped, the adults began to drink some more, and the kids ran around in the snowy field behind the house, throwing snowballs and making snow angels.

They were an unlikely family. Loving yet simultaneously crazy grandparents, two aurors, one ministry witch, two bakers and a magizoologist, one 10 year old daring girl, one 9 year old stunningly beautiful girl, one 9 year old brave and courageous boy, one 5 year old nature loving girl and two 5 year old twin pranksters. Once again, an unlikely family, but they cherished each other and loved each other, and will do until and after their best days pass.

I knew exactly how to write Ella's fear because I have it myself. It sucks. But I deal with it by hiding whenever people do fireworks. Simple 😅.

Anyways, imma do more information on the kids in a separate chapter because why not.

Stay safe!

Peace, Liv.