fourteen.

summer at 7 - russ

summer at 7 - russ

+++

to say the atmosphere between the two was awkward would be an understatement. the tension in the air could be felt by anyone who set foot in the beach house. they mostly avoided each other for the rest of the day. only meeting in the kitchen for a glass of water every now and then.

it was almost unbearable for Taehyung. by sunset, he had enough. Why should they keep quiet like that? they weren't friends for nothing. they could easily talk about it and move on, right?

but as they sat together on the back porch, watching the play of colors in the sky with their cuddling cats between them, even the outgoing older was at a loss for words. he really wanted to talk it out but how do you even start such a conversation?

"random but i always wondered - is cat male or female?"

Jungkook looked confused for a second. a little surprised at the first words of the other in over four hours. but he had to admit that he was grateful for the attempt to break the ice between them. it was difficult to avoid someone in the small space of Taehyung's home. especially when you like them as much as the younger did.

"uhm... female, why?"

"oh really? because they seem to be in love with each other but snowball is female as well."

suddenly Jungkook broke into soft laughter, lifted his cat up to his chest and hugged it tightly. snowball meowed in annoyance as her lover was being taken away from her.

"so that's why you never hated me - you're gay yourself!"

he gave his cat a bunch of kisses on the head, stretched his arms out in joy. but soon enough, his smile dropped and eyes widened in schock as his expression changed. oh god, what has he done?

"is that why you ran away from home?"

Jungkook didn't dare to look at his friend. hid his face in the palms of his hands - but nodded. he never imagined his coming out to be like ... this.

Taehyung on the other hand didn't really know what to do.  this felt different than the time he was with Jimin. he was too scared to hug the other, all the words in his mind didn't feel like the right ones to say ether. but he had to do something.

"i-i'm sorry Jungkook. and i'm even more sorry that you felt like you couldn't tell me. you were my best friend in middle school and you still are! i already lost friendship with you once, i can't even imagine a second time. let alone ever throw you out. there's nothing wrong with being gay, okay?"

his body finally gave in to the urge of somehow comforting the other. he scooted closer, gently ruffled the younger's hair and softly pushed his head so it would rest on his shoulder. Jungkook was sniffling and hiccuping from crying, when he pulled his knees up and slung his arms around them. puffy eyes, red cheeks, racing heart.

Taehyung didn't ask more questions, only dried the younger's tears with his sweater paws from time to time. they didn't go to sleep but sat for what felt like forever in the warmth of the midsummer night.