Chapter 18 - Counoise

"Rum. Nagano next door, bring enough food for 5 people"

"Got it"

-⧖-

"We'll have to find one more person to join us... I suppose someone who likes mysteries would be best..." Amuro ponders.

"Did you call... for me?" Hitsuki pops up from behind Wakita and grins.

"Wakita-san from Iroha sushi!" Ran beams. "Hitsuki-chan!"

"Ah, from next door..." Amuro notes.

"I thought I'd ask master Kogoro to tell me about some of his cases so I came by with some Nigiri sushi as a present... but if you're looking for a fella to join you on such an interesting trip... please take me along!"

"But what about your work? It's two days and one night in Nagano..."

"I'll just tell the boss that my stomach isn't doing well, and that I'll be today and tomorrow off and it's all A-okay!"

"Well, since I'm not needed, please accept the cookies! I have a train to catch" Hitsuki checks her watch.

"A train?"

"I received a code for something." Hitsuki rummages through her bag and pulls out a paper identical to Kogoro's. "I also got train tickets along with it. Something about a code to crack"

"I see... shall you join us then?" Amuro smiles.

"Sure..."

-⧖-

"Hmm... alright! I got a pair again" Kogoro grins. "You're weak brat!"

"As expected of Mouri-sensei! You really have the eyes of a detective... that can pierce through people's hearts..."

"What can I say? Things like this are my specialty! I can just tell which one's the losing card I should avoid drawing"

"It'd be better if you could tell which one was the winning card..." Amuro smiles.

"No, no, if there is such a thing as eyes that can identify a losing card... I'd really like to have them too... I'd be able to tell who the traitor is who's trying to pull one over on me... like a trader tries to fob me off with some old fish for a high price..."

"As expected of a sushi chef!" Amuro grins.

"You think so?"

Hitsuki laughs along. Ah, this was going to be a long trip... The five arrive at the church and Hitsuki blinks.

"Ah, that's interesting"

"No one is coming to greet us..."

"Maybe they haven't arrived yet?"

"Oh, the door isn't locked!" Wakita pushes the door open and walks in.

"It is an abandoned church after all..."

"Let's go inside and wait for now"

"Oooh, looks haunted" Hitsuki walks in after him.

"Looks empty"

"Perfect place for evil ghosts" Kogoro grins.

"Please stop... I'm not good with that kinda stuff" Wakita mumbles.

The chapel is empty except for a lone man sitting in a row. He asks the group if they're there for a man's farewell party. And the situation only escalates from there. A loud explosion erupts from outside.

"What's that sound?"

"It sounds like something collapsing"

"It can't be the parking lot right?"