Chapter 19 - Folle Noir

"Ah, Subaru-san!" Hitsuki carries a bag of lemons.

"Hitsuki-chan. What brings you to the professor's house?"

"I thought I'd drop off some lemons. The tree in my backyard bloomed a while back. It's the best time to have some!" Hitsuki holds up her bag and spots Sera.

"Sera-chan?"

"Ah Hitsuki-san." Sera smiles at her.

"Did you need something from the professor?"

"Actually..."

Ding dong~

Conan opens the door.

"S-subaru-san?! Hitsuki-chan?!"

"I've received a decent pick of cherries from an acquaintance of mine... would you care for some?"

"I've got the lemons from my tree too! They're currently the freshest" Hitsuki holds up the plastic bag.

"M-more importantly, was there someone loitering around the gate?"

"Yes, there was a girl wearing a bike helmet there" Subaru speaks.

"Conan-kun? Why are you here?" Sera exclaims.

"I-I came early this morning to take care of something!"

"Ah, which reminds me, what was that antique's final appraisal?" Subaru asks.

"I was actually on my way there right now to find out! The appraiser happened to mention he would also show me another interesting item up for valuation..."

"An interesting item?" Hitsuki peers from behind Subaru.

"You know Chinese black lacquer trays?"

"Lacquerware where the wooden plate had been painted over with layers and layers right? With a carved pattern on them?"

"Yeah, the kind of tray shown on TV a while ago right? If I remember correctly, it was one hundred million yen"

"That's right!'

"That's a ton of money" Hitsuki blinks and she counts on her fingers.

"Apparently there were 3 people who watched that program and asked for an appraisal, claiming they had a similar tray at home." The professor speaks.

"Are you saying by chance that two out of the three were fakes?" Subaru asks.

"That's right! He said that the real one is worth no less than tens of millions of yen! He asked me if I wanted to come have a look since he'd explain the difference between the original and the fakes while the appraisal clients were all there!" The professor smiles.

"I see, in that case, is it alright that I accompany you to this appraiser's house? I'd love to see it with my own eyes!" Subaru smiles.

"S-sure... I don't mind"

"How about you?" Subaru turns to stare at Sera and Hitsuki heads in.

"Guess I'll skip out on it... I'm not interested in some black lacquer tray..." Sera notes.

"Huh?"

"So I'll look after the house for you! Together with this girl!" Sera smiles.

"Ah, well I actually wanted to take Ai-chan out to go shopping..." Hitsuki blinks at Haibara and she shakes her head. Hitsuki laughs.

"I wanted to go with the professor! I love old trays after all!" Haibara calls.

"In that case, I might go as well! It's a tray worth tens of millions of yen, right? I'm suddenly curious!" Sera grins.