chapter forty seven

"I wonder," Tee says, squinting into the scratched bathroom mirror as he waves a makeup brush around his eyelids, "what the fuck your sugar daddy thinks about this whole thing."

"One, fucking don't," Tyler says without finishing the thought, only swaying a little; it felt obvious to him what he meant. "Two, it's not like going out with friends is cheating so I dunno what you mean."

"Nah, I mean look at this fucking place," he says, gesturing at the wall, which has many pieces of graffiti that he could've been pointing at; the one that draws Tyler's eye says 'fuck bitches get money' and it's scribbled in silver marker over something racist. "Can't fucking see the eyeshadow I'm trying to fix because six hundred assholes decided to key this mirror and the fucking cheapasses at this place can't afford to get a new one. Why the fuck are we still coming to the place with the cheapest beer when we don't have to pay rent anymore and you're officially bougie as fuck?"

"Bougie sounds like it's fake or garbage but also it's not like I have a fucking allowance or whatever."

"Yeah, but even though Nancy and I are buying you drinks we've all got like a few hundred dollars in the past two weeks of rent we haven't had to pay so why the fuck aren't we all treating ourselves a little? Like, I'm getting clymidia just being here. I wanna at least see where Colby parties, you know?"

"You expect me to know that by now?" Then Tyler blinks. "Wait, fuck, I do know that." Then he grins. "You really wanna see it?"

Tee looks over at him with a tilted head. "I mean I was just saying that to mean let's go to fucking Crown or some shit but now I am intrigued."

Tyler grins. "Let's go grab Nance and fucking get out of here. Boy do I have a place to show you."

Tyler doesn't think much when he's drunk. It's great. It's the whole point. He'd be drunk all the time if he could afford it. Wait, no, that's a bad thing he's not supposed to think. Kevin's mother became an alcoholic pretty quick after the good old Copse collapse and yeah Tyler's not keen on repeating patterns of behaviour, especially not ones he's seen end so badly.

Tyler is not drunk enough to eliminate thinking yet. Chappie- he still remembers the name of the bartender there- will need to solve that problem for him.

Nancy is talking, albeit not with the hugest amount of interest Tyler has ever seen her display, to some dude at the bar. Tyler grabs her shoulder. "We're going," he yells over the sounds of the bar, and she turns to him with relief on her face, although a second of thought turns it into disappointment.

"Oh no, I have to go home," she tells the dude she's speaking to, letting herself be dragged away through the dance floor. It's only once they reach the door that she says, "are we really going home? We've barely been out."

Tyler grins. "Nah, we're just getting out of here. You guys wanna see the club I met Colby at?"

"Oh, fuck," Nancy mutters. "I don't have to like, do anything, do I?"

"You can just fucking, you know, browse or see what's up. And there's like. Okay, I dunno if I explained it, let's get on the tram and I'll explain on the way and if you hate it we can come back okay?"

"Nothing is going to stop me from at least seeing whatever the fuck you're talking about," Tee says, and Tyler can't help but laugh.