Chapter [12]

Phillip J. Hordern sat in his office, typing away on the keyboard. He leaned into the back of his chair, satisfied, as he re-read the email he had just sent.

The United States Department of Agriculture,

It has come to my concern that a few of the marine animals currently housed at Clearwater Marine Aquarium are, judging by their behavior, bored. Now, I am not a marine biologist, nor am I a dolphin specialist, but I feel that CMA 1108, "Winter", is rather lonely. I understand that she has CMA 1706, "Hope", but she really should be interacting with males, don't you think? CMA 1108, "Winter", is at that stage in her life.

I am not telling you this because I want a breeding program at Clearwater Marine Aquarium---I do, but that is not the main reason for bringing this up---because my best interests are in the animals. I want them to have long, happy lives, and I want there to be a purpose in their life, too. I really do believe that Clearwater Marine Aquarium should invest in a breeding program, and I am perfectly happy to fund it if the Government will not do so.

I would like an United States Department of Agriculture representive to attend a brief meeting at my office---whenever it's convenient for you, but as soon as possible---so we can formally discuss these matters and express our opinions.

Kind regards,
Phillip J. Hordern.

•••

"Hello?"

Sawyer frowned, listening intently to the person on the other end of the line.

"Oh. Hi, Dr. Clay." Sawyer glanced over at his clock. "A bit early, don't you think?"

Sawyer continued frowning as he listened to Dr. Clay. "No, you didn't wake me up; I'm an early bird. George Hughes contacted you, but why?" He sighed. "Are you serious? Phil Hordern actually went as far to get the USDA involved? And he wants you to attend a meeting?" Sawyer groaned. "And you want me to be there. Right, when is this meeting?"

The LEDs within his clock read 06:00.

Sawyer inhaled sharply. "Today? But Winter has three sessions with her tail, and we have a presentation. What are we going to do?" He sighed. "We postpone the presentation and have another staff member carry out the sessions?"

The clock now read 06:04.

"I'll be there, I guess. What time is it?" There was a short pause and Sawyer shook his head. "In half an hour? You're kidding me. All right, I'll be there."

•••

Phoebe yawned; she had never been much of a morning person. "Morning, Clay. What are you doing?"

"We've got a meeting with Phil Hordern and George Hughes."

"We?"

"I need you with me, Phoebe. Phil is going to try and persuade the USDA into making us begin a breeding program. We either do that, or risk losing all the animals."

"But the animals---"

"The other staff members will take care of them. Come on, we need to go."

•••

"Morning, all. Sorry for this short-notice meeting; I just thought that the sooner we get this done, the better. Thank you, George Hughes, for coming." Phil Hordern leaned forward in his chair, gazing intently at the USDA representative. "So, George, what do you have to say about a breeding at Clearwater Marine Park?"

George sighed. "Personally, I believe that Clearwater Marine Aquarium does not necessarily need a beeeding program."

Dr. Clay exhaled slowly. "Thank you, George. I've been trying to make that clear."

"A breeding program at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, to me, is more of a want, than a need. It's up to the owners to decide if a breeding program should be put in place."

"But the animals look so bored. I'm concerned about their welfare." Phil gazed around the table. "Don't we want them to live happy lives?"

There was a murmur of assent.

"The animals at Clearwater Marine Aquarium are well looked after, and we make sure that we do whatever we can in order to make them happy," said Hazel, who had successfully asked if she could come along to the meeting. 

"Are they? Last time I was there, Winter looked really bored."

"And how long ago was this visit of yours?" Sawyer eyed Phil Hordern in distaste. "Come to think of it, I haven't seen you around CMA at all. Not around the dolphin pools, at least."

"We must have missed each other," Phil said, shrugging. "No big deal. Why don't we go and see if the animals are bored?"

"We're busy," Dr. Clay said curtly. "You can come in a few days, but not now. Rest assured, though, that the animals are not bored out of their minds. We give them the best TLC we can."

"Think about the money---"

Sawyer raised an eyebrow. "First you talk about animal welfare, now you're talking about money. What is the main point you're trying to make?"

Phil Hordern frowned, glaring at Sawyer. "A breeding program would attract more tourists and visitors, meaning that we'd get more money. Right now, we have a reasonable number of visitors, but I'd like to see that number increase."

Sawyer held Phil's accusing glare steadily. "Money isn't everything. As long as you're happy, the people around you are happy, and the people you care about are happy, then everything is fine."

"But I'm not happy."

"Have you ever wondered why you use the word I all the time? Not everything is about you; sometimes you have to consider other people, too."

Phil fell silent, still glaring at Sawyer.

Phoebe cleared her throat. "Right, is there anything else to discuss? Because if not, we'd better get back to CMA."

Dr. Clay glared at Phil Hordern before turning to face George Hughes. "Sorry to have wasted your times, George."

George Hughes sighed and closed his file. "If I am to be honest, Phillip Hordern," he said, looking appraisingly at Phil, "this was a complete waste of time." He stood up. "Good day to you all."

Dr. Clay stood up too. "Time to go, guys."

Phoebe and Hazel stood, both giving Phil looks of disapproval.

"Sawyer, you coming?"

Sawyer nodded. "Just give me a moment." He waited until the others had walked out before speaking to Phil. "Two words."

Phil looked at Sawyer, confused, and slightly amused. "What two words might they be? Good day?"

"Colton Hordern."