Chapter [7]

She gazed at his peaceful-looking face which was almost the same color as the white pillows. Her hand held his, silently willing him to wake up. When the EMTs had first arrived, Sawyer had had no pulse. But they managed to bring it back. It had now been two days and he still hadn't woken up.

Hazel looked at Sawyer's sleeping mother who had been keeping a silent vigil ever since he had been admitted. Dr. Clay, Phoebe, Kat, and other staff members kept dropping in, but Hazel had never seen Colton. This made her suspicious, but she was too worried about other things to dwell on her suspicions. The aquarium was flooded with flowers and candles, as was the hospital. Journalists and news reporters from all over the world were on edge, waiting for Sawyer to regain consciousness. The only signs that showed Sawyer was still alive were the steady ping from the heart monitor, and the subtle, almost non-existent, rising and falling of his chest.

"Oh, Sawyer," Hazel murmured. "Please wake up. I'll do anything. I won't disappear randomly; I'll be on time for all the presentations. Anything, Sawyer, just wake up and tell me."

Sawyer's finger twitched involuntarily. The unnatural silence around him was filled with an occasional beep, and Hazel's voice.

"Sawyer?" Hazel said hesitantly. She had felt his finger twitch, but she wasn't sure if it had been real.

Sawyer's finger twitched again.

"Sawyer... did you just move your finger?" She shook her head and sighed, turning away from Sawyer. "I'm just sleep deprived."

Sawyer's eyes fluttered open. He was staring blearily at a white ceiling. There was a light above his head, and it was too bright to look at so he turned his head to face Hazel.

"Hazel," he croaked hoarsely. He swallowed hard. It hurt to talk.

"Sawyer? No, I'm dreaming."

Sawyer felt mildly disoriented, but after a quick scan of the room, he managed to deduce where he was. After all, drips and heart monitors were a bit of a giveaway. "Hazel, why am I in hospital?"

Hazel's mouth dropped open just as the door opened. Phoebe, Kat, Dr. McCarthy, and Dr. Clay entered. All of them were talking quietly amongst themselves.

"Dad!"

Dr. Clay turned to face his daughter. "Yes? What's wrong?"

"Sawyer's awake!"

Sawyer's mom, Lorraine, jerked awake. She took one look at Sawyer and burst into tears.

"Mom, please don't cry. I'm fine. Just a bit drowsy and confused, that's all. Hey, guys. Why am I here?"

"You had us in a right state, Sawyer," Phoebe said, offering him a tight smile. "Even Winter and Hope knew something bad happened to you; we've been trying to get them to eat. The dolphin exhibit had to be closed because Nicholas and Bondi were acting oddly, too. It's kind of like Panama all over again."

Dr. Clay moved closer to Sawyer. "Do you remember what happened?"

Dr. McCarthy shook his head. "I'm no psychologist, Clay, but I think you ought to question Sawyer later."

Dr. Clay sighed. "I just wanted to know if it was an accident or not. Was it an accident, Sawyer?"

"Yeah. I tripped and fell into the pool."

"But what about the bruising on the left side of your face, honey?" Sawyer's mom leaned forward in her chair. "Did you get into a fight?"

"No. I must have hit my head on the edge of the pool, causing me to fall unconscious."

Hazel nodded, though she didn't entirely believe him. She would just have to ask him later when no one else was around.

The door opened again and a nurse came in. "Visiting hours are over. You can come back tomorrow."

"Wait! Before you go, can I ask you guys something?" Sawyer grasped Hazel's hand tightly.

"Oh, Sawyer, you're awake." The nurse hurried off, no doubt to spread the good news.

"How am I still alive?"

"Winter kept you above the water and we administered CPR until your pulse came back. We thought you had died."

"Sounds like I owe a lot of people my life. Thank you, guys, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of you," Sawyer said shrewdly. "Thanks."

•••

"Welcome back, Sawyer. Feeling better, I hope."

"Hey, Virginia. Yeah, I'm feeling better, thanks." Sawyer walked up the stairs, greeting other staff members along the way.

The folding blinds had been pulled across the dolphin exhibit. Hazel was standing by the gap between the blinds.

Sawyer walked up to her, smiling. "Hey."

Hazel looked up and flung her arms around Sawyer's neck. "Sawyer, it's good to have you back." She stood aside from the small gap. "Go through. Phoebe, Dad and Dr. McCarthy are trying to get Winter to allow them to put her prosthetic tail on. So far, they've unsuccessful in their endeavors."

"Right." Sawyer nodded at Hazel before stepping through the gap. He saw Phoebe in the pool with Winter, Drs. Clay and McCarthy were watching on.

"Hey."

Winter's shrill whistle pierced their ears. Everyone turned to face Sawyer.

"Hello again, Sawyer," Dr. McCarthy said, smiling.

"Hey. How's Winter?"

Winter whistled again and thrashed about. Phoebe shook her head, steadying Winter and calming her down. "We got her to eat, eventually, but she won't let us put on the tail."

"What about Hope, Nicholas, and Bondi?"

"They're fine," Dr. Clay said. "Why don't you get into the water, Sawyer? I think Winter's refusing because she's missing you."

"I was only gone for five days. I was gone a month, before, and she was all right."

Winter whistled again.

"This time was different. Get in the water, Sawyer."

Sawyer kicked off his shoes and lowered himself into the water. Phoebe moved away, giving Sawyer some time alone with Winter.

"Hey, girl, how are you doing?"

Winter whistled and splashed Sawyer in the face.

"I'm fine, Winter. Really fine, thanks to you. You helped save my life."

Winter squealed, making Sawyer laugh.

"You're my savior, Winter. Now, will you put your tail on for me?"

Winter whistled, bobbing her head up and down.

Sawyer laughed. "She's fine, now." He stroked Winter affectionately. "Attagirl."

"After all these years," Clay said, shaking his head in disbelief, "I'm jealous of the connection you have with Winter, Sawyer. After all these years..."