Chapter [29]

"Hey."

Hazel just took in a deep breath and looked in the opposite direction. Sawyer sat down beside her and stared at his hands.

"Why don't you want to go?"

Hazel sighed, staring into the distance. "I'm scared, Sawyer. I'm scared." She drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes. "I'm scared of losing you, Sawyer."

"I'm scared of losing you too, Hazel. But I believe in us, and I always have. I may not have realised it, but from the very first time I set my eyes on you, I immediately knew that someday I would have some sort of connection with you. But Dr. Clay was right. Your father was right. We may have changed, we may find someone else who makes their way into our hearts. If that happens, Hazel, and someone special finds their way into your heart, I'll still be happy for you and I'll support you in any way that I can. As much as it breaks my heart to say this, there are some times in life where we just have to move on."

"Oh, Sawyer," Hazel turned to face Sawyer, a tear trickling down her face, "nobody could ever replace someone as sweet, honest, humble, and talented as you. I could say so much more about you, your personality and your looks, and why I love you, but that would take me a year, maybe even more. But, like you said; we may move on, and we may have changed. If that happens, Sawyer, I'll be happy for you. I really will."

And the trickle turned in a waterfall. The fractured heart, snapped. The amount of love in the air increased. 

"You should go, Hazel," Sawyer said quietly. "It would be an experience of a lifetime."

Hazel closed her eyes. "Meeting you, Sawyer, has been an experience of a lifetime."

Sawyer bit his lip. "Meeting you, Hazel, has been an experience of a lifetime for me. I am every so thankful that we met. I am ever so thankful that there are people like you in this world. You make the sun come out on a stormy day. You make the rain fall during a drought. You make me smile on the worst of days. I love you, but you should go. Spend some time with your family."

"You are my family, Sawyer. Clearwater Marine Aquarium is my family. We're all a family here, Sawyer. We're one big family."

Sawyer sighed. "Go and see the world, Hazel. You won't want to miss it. Trust me. It would be worth it, and you'd have no regrets. I promise."

Hazel bit her lip, tears streaming down her face. She wrapped her arms around Sawyer and sobbed into his shoulder. "Thank you for everything, Sawyer. Thank you so much for being here for me. Thanks for being such a wonderful friend, boyfriend, and step-brother. Thank you for making my life brighter, better, and for making me see that there's more to the world than just animals, work, and worry. Thank you for introducing love to my life. I'll forever be grateful, and you'll forever hold a place in my heart, no matter what. Thank you so much. I love you, for ever and always."

Sawyer hugged Hazel back, trying his best not to break down. A tear trailed down his face. "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Hazel. You may not know it, but you made the biggest difference in my life. You changed me, Hazel. You changed me for the better. You made my life brighter, and I am eternally grateful for that. You'll always have a place in my heart, no matter where in the world you are, no matter what time it is. No matter what, there will always be a place in my heart, reserved just for you. Thank you for being in my life. Thank you so much. I'll love you, for ever and always, too."

They pulled apart slightly and faced each other, their eyes glistening with unshed tears, memories, and feelings so strong that no words would ever do them justice. Then they were so close, their noses touching.

And they shared a kiss. One that could possibly be their last.

***

Dr. Clay stared uncomfortably at his desk. "What did you want to talk about, Lorraine?"

"About us."

Dr. Clay sighed. "Okay..."

"I've been thinking, and I don't think we would work." Lorraine sighed. "I love you, Clay, I really do, but I just don't think we'd work."

"What do you mean?"

"Long distance relationships never work. I would know that. My husband left and... They just don't work, Clay. And we're totally different, too. You work at Clearwater Marine Aquarium where you tend to animals. You have a passion for animals. I work at a hospital most of the time. I'm not great with animals. Because of our work, we'd barely see each other, and that often causes relationships to fall apart. I'm sorry, Clay. I should have realised sooner."

Dr. Clay's face crumpled. "Lorraine, we may be different. We may be complete opposites, but don't they say that opposites attract?"

Lorraine sighed. "If they have the right chemistry, yes. I just don't think we have the right chemistry, Clay. I love you, I really do, but I don't think we'd work."

Dr. Clay sighed. "I love you too, Lorraine. I really do. I admit that I loved you from the very first moment I saw you. If this is it, I have to thank you. I have to thank you for everything you've given me. You gave me a chance, Lorraine, and for that, I'll be eternally thankful. You changed my life, you really did. I love you, and I always will."

Lorraine nodded, tears streaking down her face in rapid succession. "I love you too, Clay, and I always will. I just don't think that our relationship would work out. But I want you to know that I'll always be a phonecall away if you ever need me. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and dial my number. I will always love you, and I'll never forget you. I love you, Clay, and I always will."

Dr. Clay stood up and walked over to Lorraine. He knelt in front of her and gazed into her eyes. They moved closer together, and soon their lips were pressed together in a kiss.

One of their last.