Chapter [4]

"You get along well with dolphins."

Sawyer was watching Colton bond with Bondi. The pair were playfully splashing each other, reminding Sawyer of Winter and himself.

Colton looked up at Sawyer, earning himself a massive splash from Bondi. "I know that. Dolphins are, like, my soul mates. I love dolphins; everyone seems to think that I have a good connection with them. Not as good as you, though." A look of distaste briefly appeared on his face, to be replaced by a sneer. "Though that can change."

Sawyer crossed his arms. "Are you suggesting that you're going to become the next me?"

Colton shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. I have the looks, don't you think?"

"Looks aren't everything, Colton," Sawyer said coldly. "You need to understand dolphins. You need to cater for their needs. You need to be aware that they're wild animals, not a cute fluffy poodle you can keep at home. They have the ability to seriously maim and injure—if not kill. I'd be careful around dolphins—males, especially—they're known to be territorial."

"Whatever. Bondi wouldn't harm me; he wouldn't harm a fly." Colton stroked Bondi fondly.

Sawyer shook his head. "Don't say I didn't warn you, Colton; your ignorance and arrogance will be your downfall." He walked off, thinking about visiting Winter.

* * *

"Sawyer, you okay?"

Sawyer looked into Hazel's eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine. We should be worried about Colton, though."

Hazel frowned. "Why?"

"Because he's an ass? Sorry, Hazel, but it's true."

"How so?"

Sawyer sighed. "He treats animals like toys, Hazel. He doesn't understand that the dolphins are wild animals, even if they are to be kept in captivity for the rest of their lives. Yes, they seem all friendly and cuddly, but they're naturally wild. They're wild at heart."

Hazel frowned. "I see. We should have a word with my dad. Get his opinion."

Sawyer nodded. "Yeah, okay."

* * *

"How is CMA 1108?"

Dr. Clay Haskett leaned into the back of his chair. "Winter. Winter's great."

"And CMA 1706?"

Dr. Clay frowned at George Hughes. "Hope. She's doing really well."

"What about CMA 0987?"

"You mean Nicholas. He's in top-notch condition. Isn't eligible for release, if that's what you're thinking."

"No." George looked down at his file. "What about your latest juvenile male stranding, CMA 1709?"

"Bondi is steadily recovering. He, too, is ineligible for release."

George looked up from his folder. "All is well, then." He surveyed Clay for a while before speaking. "Phil and I were having a chat the other day."

"What?" said Clay stiffly. "Does he regret his decision to call off the building of his hotels?"

George frowned, readjusting his USDA cap. "No, actually. Phil told me that he thought it might be a good idea to introduce a breeding program. He was thinking about mating Winter and Nicholas—"

"Are you mad?" Clay rose from his seat. "We're a hospital for sick and injured animals, not some nursery!"

"I'm not saying it's a good thing, Clay, but what harm could it do? Mate Winter and Nicholas and you'll get more publicity and tourists. It's not really my field, but—"

Dr. Clay clenched his fists. "We have enough on our plate, George. All the dolphins are doing fine, but we have to keep it up or their condition will deteriorate. Take Winter, for example. If we don't do three sessions a day with her prosthetic tail, then she'll damage her spine."

"What about Hope and Bondi? There's still some time before they reach that age—"

"You can't just throw two dolphins in the water together and expect them to mate! It's like humans; you never know if they'll accept or reject each other."

"All I'm asking is for you to consider it. There's no doubt that Phil will bring the topic up at your next meeting. Well, goodbye, Clay." George stood up and left the office.

Dr. Clay sat down and placed his head in his hands, thinking.

* * *

"Hazel, Sawyer, can I speak to you?" Dr. Clay came out of his office, tired and worn.

Sawyer turned. "Sure. We also wanted to talk to you about something."

"Phoebe, can you come here? I need to talk to you."

Phoebe let the whistle drop from her mouth. She praised Hope, giving her a fish as a reward before standing and walking over to where the trio were talking. "What's wrong?"

"I was talking to George Hughes—"

"Another violation?" Phoebe asked, frowning.

Dr. Clay shook his head and sighed. "No. He wants us to consider a breeding program. It was Phil Hordern's idea—"

Phoebe snorted. "We already have enough on our plates. We're about rescuing animals in need, rehabbing them until they're ready to be sent back to the wild, and releasing them back into their natural habitat. Winter, Hope, Nicholas, and Bondi aren't eligible for release, but that doesn't mean they're just sitting around and waiting for their time to come."

"Phoebe's right," said Sawyer. "CMA's motto is Rescue, Rehab, Release, after all. We don't have the time for a breeding program."

Hazel nodded. "Our main focus, here at CMA, is to take sick and injured animals in, provide them with the best care, and release as many as we can."

"So the answer's no, then?" Clay asked, relieved.

Phoebe nodded. "We just don't have the time."

* * *

"How's Winter?"

Dr. Clay sighed. "She's fine, Phil."

"And Nicholas?"

"He's good."

"Clay, maybe it's time to think about a breeding program."

Clay glared at Phil. "I've already told you, Phil, that my staff members don't agree with you, and frankly, neither do I."

"Think of the aquarium, Clay. Business will boom because people will be flooding in to see the next generation of dolphins. Think of all the publicity you'd get, maybe even a few sponsors. Think about Winter; right now she's probably bored—"

Clay laughed. "Sixteen years ago, I opened Clearwater Marine Hospital with the intention of rescuing, rehabbing, and releasing sick and injured animals. I did not have the intentions of introducing a breeding program, and I still don't. Winter's got Hope, Phil; they're practically sisters."

"I think it's a good idea, Clay."

"Well, I don't, Phil. Do you remember that day on the dock? You said that I could run things my way, Phil. That's what I'm doing. There will be no breeding program, Phil."

"Think about the aquarium, Clay. It would boost your reputation, don't you think?"

"But you can't just throw two dolphins in the water together, Phil! You can't expect them to immediately like each other and mate straight away. That's not how it works!"

"Just consider it, Clay."

"I have," Dr. Clay said coldly, "and my staff and I have come to the unanimous decision that there will be no breeding program. Like it or not, Phil, it was our decision. I'm doing things my way, and if you don't like it, stop funding my whole operation." Clay stood up and left, fuming.

Phil Hordern leaned forward in his chair and rested his chin on his hand, deep in thought.