Chapter [23]

"Hazel, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Hazel paused and turned to face her father. "Dad, I was about to go and---"

"See Sawyer, I know. Can I just talk to you for a minute?"

"Dad, I promised to meet him by the dolphin pools at---"

Dr. Clay folded his arms. "I'm sure he won't mind if you're a few minutes late. If he really loved you, he wouldn't give up on you, would he? Think of it as a test."

Hazel shook her head, staring incredulously at her father. "I love him and he loves me. What is there to test, Dad? Are you trying to disapprove of our relationship, or something?"

Dr. Clay sighed. "No, Hazel. I approve. I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you."

"Right. If that was it, I'm leaving." Hazel turned and walked off.

"Hazel! Just be careful and take it slow!"

Hazel turned to face her father. "What's the worst that Sawyer can do to me? Push me into the water? Honestly, Dad, you're too overprotective of me.  Don't forget that I'm no longer the sweet, innocent thirteen year old anymore. I'm sixteen, okay?" She shook her head before walking off again.

•••

"Where do you think you're going, Sawyer?"

Sawyer withdrew his hand from the door knob and turned to face his mother. He looked her directly in the eyes. "I am going to see Hazel."

Lorraine Nelson leaned against the kitchen counter and folded her arms. "How about a bite to eat before you leave?"

"Mom, Hazel's waiting for me at Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Besides, we're having breakfast together."

"Sawyer, I barely see you anymore, and when I do, you're distant. It's almost as though I don't exist anymore."

Sawyer sighed and bit his lip. "Mom, I love you, I really do. But now I have Hazel, and I love her. I just want to make the most of things."

Sawyer's mother walked over to him and gave him a quick hug. "No matter what happens, Sawyer, I'll always love you. I'm happy for you and Hazel, Sawyer, I really am. I believe that you're perfect for each other."

"I love you too, Mom." Sawyer opened the front door and smiled at his mother, before shutting the door.

Lorraine walked over to the window and watched her son get on his bike and ride off into the distance.

•••

"Hey, Sawyer!"

Sawyer rolled to a halt and glanced behind him to see Hazel jogging to catch up to him. "Hey, Hazel. I thought you were already by the pools."

Hazel caught up to Sawyer and shook her head. "No, I got held up."

"Yeah, me too. Was it your dad?"

Hazel nodded. "And I'm guessing it was your mother who held you up, right?"

Sawyer nodded. "Yeah. Hey, get on, I'll give you a ride."

Hazel laughed. "It's a bike, Saywer. Where am I going to sit?"

Sawyer laughed. "On me, of course. Come on, I promise that I don't bite."

Hazel hesitated, before obliging. Sawyer began pedalling, laughing as the bike wobbled precariously.

"Careful, Sawyer," Hazel said as they narrowly missed a lamp post.

The wind was blowing into their faces, and the sun was shining on their faces, emphasizing their happiness. Clearwater Marine Aquarium came into view as they turned a corner. 

Either they turned too fast, or were too unbalanced, for they toppled over and fell onto the grass.

Hazel pushed Sawyer off herself and stood up, brushing loose strands of hair out of her eyes. Sawyer was lying on the ground, trying hard not to laugh.

"What's so funny?"

Sawyer began laughing. "Your expression. It was so priceless."

Hazel shook her head and sat on the grass beside him. "I think you were leaning too far. Did you do it on purpose?"

Sawyer shook his head. "We just turned too fast and leant too far. But your expression..."

"What did I look like?"

Sawyer screwed up his face into a look of shock, fright, and horror, closing his eyes. "I think that's what it looked like, at least. It's hard to replicate an expression that is made up of so many different emotions."

Hazel laughed so hard it hurt. "That was so funny. Did I really look like that?"

Sawyer nodded. "But you looked funnier."

Hazel slapped Sawyer playfully on the arm. "Yeah, sure."

•••

Lorraine was in the kitchen making tea when there was a knock on the door. Frowning, she set down the teapot and walked over to the door and opened it.

"Hello."

Lorraine looked down at the ground, then back up at the man on her doorstep. "Look, I'm about to leave for work. Why are you here?"

Dr. Clay scratched his head awkwardly. "I was hoping to speak with Sawyer about some things. Is he still here?"

Lorraine shook her head. "No. He left a while ago to meet Hazel. Perhaps you'll find him at Clearwater Marine Aquarium. I believe that's where they've gone. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get ready for work." She attempted to close the door, but Dr. Clay stuck his foot out and prevented it from closing.

"Lorraine, please. Can I come in?"

Lorraine sighed and rested her head against the door. "Clay, this isn't a good time. I really have to go."

"Please."

Lorraine shook her head and opened the door, standing aside to let him in.

"Thank you. How long do you have?"

"Ten minutes."

"Any time is better than none at all."

Lorraine eyed Dr. Clay apprehensively as he sat down at the dining table. "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Dr. Clay shook his head. "No thanks. We only have ten minutes, after all."

Lorraine sat down opposite Dr. Clay and stared expectantly at him. "Well, you came for a reason. Why did you come here?"

"I wanted to tell you something."

Lorraine blinked and sighed. "Tell me what?"

Dr. Clay sighed and turned to stare out of the window. He swallowed and turned back to look at Lorraine. "Actually, I wanted to ask you something."

"Tell, ask... Just say it."

"Lorraine. Lorraine Nelson. I know that I hardly know you, and you hardly know me... I was wondering if... Oh, this is stupid. Forget it."

Lorraine placed a hand on Dr. Clay's. "Nothing you have to say, Clay, is stupid. Just say what you want to say."

"I know that this was really rushed, and I'm sorry... Lorraine, will---"

Lorraine squeezed his hand and looked into his eyes. "Just say it."

Dr. Clay drew in a deep breath and stared at Lorraine's hand, entwined with his. He had spent all of last night preparing for this very moment, but now he couldn't bring hiself to do it. He had followed his father's advice and had chased her to her house. Now was the time to do it.

He took in another deep breath and asked something that he hoped he wouldn't regret.