Chapter 19

Drew, Kiley, and Rick were eating dinner, one night. "Hey Dad." Kiley said. "Can I go to work with you tonight?"

Drew had a puzzled look on his face. "Why do you want to come to work with me?" He asked.

"I guess I figured that working during the night was different than during the day." Kiley replied.

"I work all night." Drew said. "You're going to get tired."

"Well, tomorrow's Saturday." Kiley said. "I can sleep in."

"I think it would be a great idea for Kiley to see what you do." Rick said.

"Let me call Jordan and see if it's ok." Drew said. Kiley nodded. He went to go call Jordan and Kiley and Rick cleaned up dinner.

After a few minutes, Drew came back into the kitchen. "What did Jordan say?" Kiley asked.

"She said it was fine." Drew answered. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yep." Kiley said. "See ya, Rick."

"Bye Kiley." Rick said. "Have fun." Kiley followed Drew outside and they got in the truck.

"So, is the ER different during the night?" Kiley asked as Drew drove to the hospital.

"Not really." Drew said.

When they arrive at the hospital, the two of them walk inside. "Wait here." Drew said. "I'm going to go change into my scrubs."

"Ok." Kiley said. "Here Kiley." Molly said. "You can sit with me while you wait." Kiley went over to Molly and sat on a stool. "How are you?" Molly asked.

"I'm doing good." Kiley replied.

"Are you liking living with Drew?" Molly asked.

"Definitely." Kiley answered. "He's the best foster parent I've ever had."

"That's great." Molly said.

"What are you doing here, Kiley?" Topher asked, coming over to her with Jordan following.

"She wanted to see what Drew did and watch him work." Jordan explained. "I said it was ok."

"You want see something, Kiley?" Molly asked.

"Sure." Kiley said. Molly showed her a picture of Drew against the wall wrapped in Saran Wrap. "Oh my god." Kiley said. "That's hilarious."

"What's hilarious?" Drew asked.

"Just showing Kiley the picture of Paul and Kenny prancing you." Molly said.

"You have to send me that." Kiley said.

"Come on." Drew said. "So, just stick with me. But if I get pulled onto something urgent, I need you to stay out of the way. Understand?"

"Yep." Kiley said as she hopped off the stool. She followed behind Drew. They went into an exam room. There was a young boy with his mother.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Alister." Drew said.

"Then, who's she?" The boy asked, referring to Kiley.

"Oh. This my daughter, Kiley." Drew explained. "I brought her along to work with me." Kiley looked at Drew when he said daughter.

"Couldn't get a babysitter?" The mom asked.

"No." Drew said. "She actually wanted to come to work with me."

"Don't mind me." Kiley said. "I'm just here to watch."

"If that's ok with you guys if she stays." Drew said.

"It's fine." The mom said.

"Ok." Drew said. Kiley watched Drew treat the young boy. Kiley continued to watch Drew treat patients.

After awhile, they went over to the nurse's station. "It's bad enough we had to deal with Ragosa as our boss." Drew said. "Now, we have to work with him."

"He's a good guy once you get to know him." Jordan said.

"Don't you tell me that when I complain about mean girls at school?" Kiley asked.

"Nice example you're setting for her." Jordan said.

"Yeah yeah." Drew said.

"You should bring Kiley to the party tomorrow." Jordan said.

"What party?" Kiley asked.

"We're having a quinceanera party for Michael's daughter." Jordan explained.

"Why are you having it here?" Kiley asked.

"Michael lost the venue where they originally were going to have the party." Jordan answered. "So, we're having it here to help him out."

"Cool." Kiley said.

"Just don't let Michael know." Jordan said. "We want to surprise him."

"Ok." Kiley said.

Just then, Molly started talking about an accident. "Drew, you go." Topher said.

Drew nodded. "Kiley, I'll be back." He said. "Try not get in anyone's way."

"I won't." Kiley said.

"Krista, you're with me." Drew said. "Let's go." Kiley watched Drew and Krista leave.

"So, Kiley." Jordan started. "Are you enjoying seeing Drew work?"

"Yeah. I'm having fun." Kiley replied. "Plus, I get to stay up all night."

Jordan chuckled. "How's track going?" She asked.

"Great." Kiley said. "I'm getting better at it and really enjoying it."

"That's great." Jordan said.

"You should come to one of my meets." Kiley said.

"I wouldn't miss it." Jordan said. Kiley nodded.

"Well, I gotta get back to work." Jordan said. "I'll see you around, Kiley."

"Bye Jordan." Kiley said.

Jordan walked away and Kiley went into the break room to get a snack. She grabbed a bag of chips and a soda and went back out to the nurse's station.

After a little bit, Drew and Krista came back. "I don't think you should be drinking soda this late." Drew said.

"I'm not a little kid who will get a sugar high." Kiley said. Drew just smirked. "Can I continue to watch you work?" Kiley asked.

"Not at the moment." Drew said.

"Please." Kiley said.

Drew thought for a moment. "Alright." He said. "But, you need to stay out of the trauma room, so you're not in the way. Ok?" Kiley nodded and followed Drew. She continued to watch him work for the rest of the night.