Chapter 29

A month went by. Kiley was working on homework, when she decided to get a snack. She stood up from her desk, walked out of her room, and went into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and grabbed an apple out. She heard Rick in the den, talking to someone. When she walked into the den, she saw him on the couch with the computer on his lap.

"Who are you talking to?" Kiley asked as she took a bite of her apple.

"Drew." Rick said. Kiley gasped and rushed over to the computer.

"Dad." She said.

"Hey baby." Drew said. "How are you?"

"I'm doing good." Kiley said.

"What are you up to?" Drew asked.

"Homework." Kiley said, taking another bite from her apple.

"Good." Drew said.

"How have you've been?" Kiley asked. "

Good." Drew said. "How's school and track?"

"Great." Kiley replied. "I won my last track meet."

"That's great." Drew said. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you." Kiley said.

"What about school?" Drew asked.

"I got an A on my English quiz." Kiley replied.

"That's great, Ki." Drew said. "How did you do on your math test?" Kiley was quiet before answering.

"I got a C on it." Kiley answered.

"Kiley. I thought we talked about you doing better in that class." Drew said.

"I know." Kiley said. "But you know Math isn't my strong suit."

"Did you study for it?" Drew asked.

"Yes." Kiley said.

"Well, as long as you studied for it." Drew said. Just then, a woman appeared behind Drew.

"Who's that?" Kiley asked.

"My friend, Syd." Drew said. He turned to the woman. "Syd, this is Kiley."

"It's nice to meet you, Kiley." Syd said. "Drew's told me a lot about you."

"It's nice to meet you too." Kiley said. Syd nodded and walked away.

"I miss you." Kiley said.

"I miss you too." Drew said.

"I love you." Kiley said.

"I love you too, sweetheart." Drew said. "Can you put Rick back on?" Kiley handed the computer back to Rick and went back to her room to continue her homework.

The next afternoon, Kiley was getting ready for a track meet. She was sitting on the track field, stretching. A few minutes later, she lined up with the rest of the runners and the person fired the pistol. Kiley started running. She started out in the lead. Someone was catching up to her and she started running faster. She crossed the finish line in first. They handed medals to her and the two people that came in second and third place. As she stood on the podium, she looked over to where Rick was. Some of Drew's friends that worked at the hospital with him were there too. Like Jordan, TC, Molly, and Krista. With them, she saw someone she didn't expect to.

Kiley jumped off the podium, sprinted over to where Drew's friends were, and practically leapt into her father's arms. "Daddy!" She exclaimed.

Drew lifted Kiley and hugged her tightly. "Hi princess." Drew said.

"I missed you." Kiley said with tears running down her face, as she had started crying.

"I missed you too, baby girl." Drew said, cradling her head. "I love you so much, sweetheart."

"I love you too." Kiley said.

They could hear people clapping and guessed that some were video taping them. No doubt, they would come across the video on the internet in a few hours. Drew kissed Kiley on the forehead. Kiley didn't want to let go of Drew, but he soon attempted to set her down.

"No!" Kiley whined.

"You want me to carry you to the parking lot like this?" Drew asked, chuckling.

"Yes." Kiley said.

"Come on." Drew said, setting her down.

"What are you doing here?" Kiley asked. "Are you only here for a few days?"

"I'm home for good." Drew said.

"Why?" Kiley asked. "I thought you had three more months."

"I'll explain later." Drew said. "But, for now, let's go out and celebrate."

Kiley nodded. "Did you watch the entire race?" Kiley asked.

"I did." Drew replied. "Come on. Let's go."

Drew wrapped his arm around Kiley and everyone walked to their cars. They all went out to get ice cream.

A few minutes later, Kiley was sitting at a table, with Drew, eating her ice cream. She ended up getting cookie dough. "So, why are you back so early." She asked.

"I was able to come home early." Drew said.

"Why?" Kiley asked.

Drew sighed. He didn't want to lie to her. "I ended up getting a dishonorable discharge." He said.

"What did you do?" Kiley asked.

"I was trying to help a girl get away from her husband, but that was against the law in Afghanistan and I got caught doing it." Drew said. "So, my officer sent me home."

"Why did you do it?" Kiley asked.

"To help a girl." Drew said. "She isn't much older than you are."

"Well, despite the reason for your return." Kiley said. "I'm glad you're back."

"Me too."  Drew said.

"I missed you so much." Kiley said, again, as she hugged him again.

"I missed you too, sweetheart." Drew said as he hugged Kiley back and stroked her hair. "But now that I'm back, we can get your adoption started." Kiley looked up at Drew and smiled.

Later that night, Kiley was getting ready for bed. She was in the bathroom, brushing her teeth. She started crying, all of a sudden.

"Kiley, what's wrong?" Rick asked as he and Drew came into the bathroom.

"I'm afraid that all of this is a dream and I'm going to wake up and you're not going to be here." Kiley said, looking at Drew.

"Come here." Drew said. Kiley walked into her father's open arms and continued to cry. "Shh." Drew said, comforting her. "I'll still be here when you wake up tomorrow. I promise."

"Do you want to sleep in our room tonight?" Rick asked. Kiley nodded against Drew's chest.

"Come on." Drew said. Kiley followed them to their room and climbed into the bed. Drew and Rick got in as well. Rick pulled the covers over them. Drew had his arms protectively around around Kiley as he sang her sleep.

"I missed you so much." Kiley said as she yawned.

"I missed you too, Kiley." Drew said, stroking her hair. "Go to sleep. I'll still be here in the morning." Kiley then fell asleep, glad to be back in her father's arms.