Chapter 11

A few weeks went by. Kiley was doing a lot better. The therapy she had been going to was helping. She still had nightmares, but she didn't have them as often as she used to and they weren't as bad. She had been getting along great with Drew and was really liking living him. He was the best foster parent she's ever had. Kiley was currently helping Drew clean up dinner.

"So, Rick should be here around seven." Drew said. "Are you going to be ok here by yourself until he gets here?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine." Kiley answered.

"Ok." said Drew.

"So, how did you and Rick meet?" Kiley asked.

"We went through basic training together." Drew said. "And we just had a connection to each other." Kiley nodded. They finished cleaning up dinner.

"I have to get going to work." Drew said. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Ok." Kiley said. Drew picked up his bag and walked out of the house. Kiley went to to go change into something more comfortable and walked into the living room, settling onto the couch so she could watch tv as she worked on homework.

About two hours later, it was going on 9:30. Kiley was getting worried since Rick wasn't here yet. She was about to call Drew, when there was a knock on the door.

"Kiley, it's Krista." She heard said. "Can you open the door?" Kiley went over to the door and saw Krista there.

"What are you doing here?" Kiley asked.

"Get your shoes on." Krista said. "I'm bringing you to the hospital." Kiley went into her room to put her shoes on and came back out. She followed Krista to her car.

"What's going on?" Kiley asked. "I was about to call Drew because Rick's not here yet."

"The bus that Rick and the other soldiers were on was in an accident and Rick was badly injured." Krista said. "Drew wanted me to pick you up so you wouldn't be home alone."

"Is Rick going to be ok?" Kiley asked.

"There's a good possibility that his leg will have to be amputated." Krista said.

"Is Drew ok?" Kiley asked.

"Not really." Krista said. "But I'm sure with you there he'll feel a little better."

When they got to the hospital, they got of the car and walked inside.

"Drew." Kiley said, when she saw him.

"Kiley." Drew said. He looked at Krista. "Thank you for getting her."

"Of course." Krista said, before walking off.

"I'm so sorry about Rick." Kiley said as she hugged Drew.

"It's ok." Drew said, hugging her back. "I'm ok." Kiley looked at Drew. "Why don't you go hang out in the break room." He said. Kiley nodded and went to break room, sitting on the couch. She played games on her phone, until she started to get sleepy and fell asleep. She was woken up by Drew coming in.

"Drew." Kiley said as she sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." Drew said. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"Are you ok?" Kiley asked.

"Yeah." Drew said, sitting next to Kiley.

"What's happening with Rick?" Kiley asked.

"He's having surgery to have his leg taken off." Drew replied.

"I'm sorry." Kiley said.

"Thank you." Drew said. They sat in silence for a few moments.

"Come on. I'll get you something to eat." Drew said. The two of them headed down to the cafeteria.

A little bit later, everyone was standing in the hallway, watching Rick being taken to surgery. Kiley was in the back, standing next to Drew.

"Go with him. He's terrified." Krista said.

"I can't. Not in front of them." Drew said.

"All that talk about how your so tough doesn't mean crap if you let him go through this alone." Krista said.

"She's right." Kiley said. "If you love him, you won't make him go through this alone." Drew looked at both of them.

"Hold up." He said. He went over to Rick. "I'm going to be there for you. I promise." Drew said before kissing Rick. "I love you."

"Me too." Rick said. Dr. Clemmens and Rick went into the elevator. Kiley sat in the break room with Drew.

"Thank you." Drew said.

"You're welcome." Kiley said. Drew kissed Kiley on the top of the head. They continued to wait for Rick's surgery to be done.

Later that morning, Kiley felt herself being shaken. She had fallen asleep again. "Huh." She said, sitting up.

"Do you want to meet Rick?" Drew asked.

"Sure." Kiley said.

"Come on." said Drew.

Kiley followed him to a room. When they walked into the room, Kiley saw the same guy that Drew talked to before he went to surgery. Only this time, his right leg was gone. The guy was awake.

"Rick, this is Kiley." Drew introduced. "My foster daughter."

"It's nice to meet you." Kiley said.

"It's nice to finally meet you as well, Kiley." Rick said. "Drew's told me a lot about you."

"He's told me about you, too." Kiley said. "I'm sorry about your leg."

"It's ok." Rick said. "And thank you."

"Want some breakfast?" Drew asked.

"You aren't taking me home to get ready for school?" Kiley asked.

"I figured I'd let you skip school today." Drew said.

"Really?" Kiley asked.

"Yeah." Drew said. "But only for today."

"Fine by me." Kiley said.

"Why don't you stay here with Rick." Drew said. "I'll get us all something to eat."

"Ok." Kiley said. While Drew went to get food, Kiley talked to Rick.