Chapter 25

A month went by. Kiley had been having a really hard time without Drew. It had only been a month since he had been gone and she was missing him so much. She didn't know how she was going to make it for another five months.

Kiley was in the hallway at school. As she was getting her books out of her locker, she looked down at the dog tags she had around her neck. There were Drew's. He had let her keep them while he was over there.

"You ok?" Hannah asked.

"Yeah." Kiley said as they started walking. "I just miss him."

"I know you do." Hannah said.

"Aww. Is the orphan girl missing her Daddy." A girl teased.

"Leave me alone, Alyssa." Kiley said.

"I doubt he cares about you." Alyssa said. "He just took pity on you."

"Shut up, Alyssa." Hannah said. "She asked you to leave her alone."

"I'm sure he went all the way over there to get away from you." Alyssa continued. "Plus, I find the whole thing of people serving is stupid."

Kiley turned on Alyssa. "It's not stupid!" Kiley said. "So many people are willing to risk their lives for ungrateful people like you!"

"Ooh. It seems I struck a nerve." Alyssa said, smirking. " Whatever. It's still stupid."

Kiley lunged at Alyssa, causing the two to fall to the ground.

"Kiley!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Don't ever talk about my father or anything having to do with the military ever again!" Kiley said.

"Get off of me!" Alyssa said.

"What's going on out here?" A teacher asked. "Get off of her."

A couple people pulled Kiley off of Alyssa. A crowd had formed around. Kiley saw Alyssa's nose was bleeding. She also saw Justin part of the crowd. Her face turned red with embarrassment.

"Follow me to the principal's office." The teacher said. Kiley followed the teacher in silence.

A few minutes later, Kiley was sitting in the principal's office. Someone came into the room and Kiley looked up to see Rick.

"Hello, I'm Rick Lincoln." He introduced.

"Are you her father?" The principal asked.

"I'm her stepfather and her current guardian." Rick answered. "What this is about?"

"A teacher caught Ms. Blake fighting another student." The principal said.

"What?" Rick asked.

"We know that Kiley is still fairly new to the school and we understand the situation she's in with her foster father being overseas." The principal said. "But, we do not tolerate violence."

"I understand." Rick said.

"I'm sorry to say this, but Kiley is suspended for three days." The principal said.

"What!" Kiley said.

"Is there anyway we can avoid suspension?" Rick asked.

"I suppose she could do after school detention every day for a week instead." The principal said. "And she will be prohibited from doing any extracurricular activities during that time."

"Understood." Rick said. He looked at Kiley. "Why don't you get your stuff and I'll take you home." Kiley nodded and walked out of the room. "I apologize for what happened." Rick said. "She's a good kid. She's just having a hard time with her foster father being away."

"I understand that." The principal said. "But, that still doesn't condone what happened."

"I know." Rick said. "I'll talk to her and thank you for not suspending her."

"Not a problem." The principal said. "But if something like this happens again, I'll have no choice but to suspend her."

"Understood." Rick said as he stood up. "Thank you again, sir." He walked out of the office to find Kiley waiting. "Come on." Rick said. "Let's go." Kiley followed him.

They stopped and grabbed something to eat on the way home. Neither said a word until they got back to the house.

Just as Kiley was about to head to her room, Rick stopped her. "Kiley, you can't avoid talking about this." He said. Kiley turned around to face Rick. "What happened?" Rick asked.

"Nothing." Kiley lied.

"Kiley, you have to have a reason." Rick said. "This isn't something you would do. You wouldn't do it for nothing."

"It's stupid." Kiley said. "I don't want to talk to about it."

"Come here." Rick said as sat on the couch and motioned for her to join him. Kiley sat next to him. "Just tell me what happened." Rick said.

"I don't want to talk about it." Kiley said. "It's stupid and embarrassing."

Rick sighed. "Why don't you go work on homework." He said. Kiley nodded and headed to her room.