Chapter 14

One morning, Kiley woke up and started to get ready for school. She chose wear an orange tank top, jeans, brown boots, and a green fedora. She then braided her hair.

Once she finished getting ready, Kiley headed downstairs to the kitchen

Once she finished getting ready, Kiley headed downstairs to the kitchen. She noticed that Drew wasn't anywhere. Which she thought was weird because he was always home by now. She decided to make herself some breakfast. She put bread in the toaster and then put peanut butter on it.

By the time she finished eating, Kiley was getting worried. If Drew didn't get home soon, she would be late for school. She decided to call him, but he didn't answer. Now, she was starting to panic. She thought about who else she could call and then started dialing.

"Hello." Rick answered.

"Rick, I'm sorry for call you, but I didn't know who else to call." Kiley said, talking fast.

"Woah. Kiley, slow down." Rick said. "What's wrong?"

"Drew's not home yet. I tried calling him, but he didn't answer." Kiley explained. "I need to get to school."

"Ok. Just calm down." Rick said. "I'll be right over."

"Ok." Kiley said before hanging up. She put a jean jacket on and her backpack, so she would be ready.

When Rick arrived, Kiley got in his car. "Are you ok, Kiley?" Rick asked as he started driving. "You seemed really upset on the phone."

"Yeah." Kiley said. "I'm really sorry I called you. I didn't know who else to call."

"It's ok, Kiley." Rick said.

"Can I ask you something?" Kiley asked.

"Sure. Go ahead." Rick said.

"Am I the reason you left?" Kiley asked.

"Why would you ask that?" Rick asked.

"I thought that maybe you didn't like me and that's why you moved out." Kiley said.

"It wasn't because of you." Rick said.

"I just." Kiley said, but stopped. "Actually never mind."

"What is it?" Rick asked.

"Nothing." Kiley said.

"Tell me." Rick said.

"I said it's nothing." Kiley said.

Rick pulled the car over and stopped. "Kiley, look at me." Rick said. Kiley looked up at him. "You can talk to me." Rick continued. "Tell me what's going on."

"I've been having nightmares about Drew not wanting me anymore because he wants you more than me." Kiley answered. A few tears rolled down her cheek.

"Kiley, I've never seen Drew more happier than he has been with you around." Rick said. "He really cares about you." Kiley didn't say anything. "We never meant to put you in the middle of this." Rick continued. "It had to do with me. It's been hard for me since losing my leg and I just need some time alone."

"So, it's not because of me?" Kiley asked.

"No. I think you're great and I'm glad Drew has you." Rick replied. "Everything going on between Drew and I and me moving out had nothing to do with you. I promise."

"I really miss you being around." Kiley said.

"I miss you too." Rick said. "You are welcome to call me whenever you want."

"Ok." Kiley said.

"Now, let's get you to school." Rick said as he started the car up again.

After dropping Kiley off at school, Rick drove to the hospital. When he walked in, he saw Drew heading out.

"Rick?" Drew asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Kiley and I have been trying to reach you." Rick said.

"Sorry. I fell asleep in the locker room." Drew said. "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah. Kiley just needed someone to bring her to school." Rick said. "Which I did."

"Thank you." Drew said.

"We need to talk." Rick said.

"I agree." Drew said.

"Not about us." Rick said. "About Kiley."

"What about her?" Drew asked.

"You need to talk to her." Rick said. "She thinks I left because of her."

"Is that why you moved out?" Drew asked. "I mean we never really discussed Kiley being around when you got home."

"Of course not." Rick said. "Me moving out had nothing to do with Kiley."

"Ok." Drew said.

"She told me that she's having nightmares of you not wanting her anymore because you'd rather have me around than her." Rick explained.

"That's not true." Drew said.

"And I told her that." Rick said. "But, you need to talk to her too."

"I will." Drew said.

"That's all I have to say." Rick said.

"Ok." Drew said. "Thank you for taking her to school."

Rick nodded before walking out of the hospital.