Chapter 28

The next morning, Rick made his way to Jordan's house after dropping Kiley off at school. He hoped that she would be home from her shift by now. When Rick pulled up to the house, he was relieved to see her car in the driveway. He got out of the car and went up to the house, knocking on the door.

Jordan opened it. "Hey Rick." She said. "What can I do for you?"

"I need to talk to you." Rick said. "Could we get coffee?"

"Uhh. Rick, I know that Drew is gone right now." Jordan said. "But."

"No, that's not it." Right said, chuckling. "It's about Kiley."

"Oh." Jordan said. "Then, sure." She grabbed her keys and they got in their cars.

A few minutes later, they were sitting outside at a cafe." "I'm sorry about the comment earlier." Jordan said.

"It's fine." Rick said. "Maybe if I wasn't already married. Or, you know, was into girls." The two laughed at the joke.

"So, what about Kiley did you want to talk about?" Jordan asked. "How is she doing?"

"She's having a hard time with Drew being gone." Rick said.

"I'm sure she misses him." Jordan said.

"I don't know how to help her. She has nightmares every night, which makes her tired during the day, therapy isn't working, and she has stopped eating." Rick said. "I talked to Drew last night. He said to talk to you and see if you can help because she's really fond of you."

"How about she stays with me for a few days." Jordan suggested. "A change of scenery might get her mind off Drew for a little bit."

"That's a great idea." Rick said. "Kiley has track practice after school today. Could you meet up with us there."

"Sure." Jordan said.

At school, Kiley was at her locker getting her books for her next class.

"Hi Kiley." She heard someone say.

Kiley looked around to see Justin. "Oh. Hi Justin." Kiley greeted. She hadn't spoken to him since the fight.

"How are you?" Justin asked?

"I'm ok." Kiley answered.

"I saw what happened between you and Alyssa a few weeks ago." Justin said.

"I know." Kiley said, looking down. Again, her face going red with embarrassment at the mention of the fight.

"You have nothing to be embarrassed about." Justin said.

"Yes, I do." Kiley said. "Most of the school saw what happened and it was wrong."

"Yes." Justin agreed. "But, it was also wrong for Alyssa to say those things about you and your foster Dad. She had no right to say any of that to you."

"Thanks Justin." Kiley said.

"I'm sorry you're having a rough time with your foster Dad being overseas." Justin said.

"Thanks." Kiley said.

"Come on." Justin said. "Let's get to class." Kiley nodded and the two headed to their class.

Later that afternoon, Kiley was running during practice. Once it ended, she went over to the bleachers and grabbed her bag. She walked over to where Rick was and saw Jordan with him.

"Hey Jordan." Kiley said.

"Hi Ki." Jordan said.

"Kiley, you're going to stay with Jordan for a few days." Rick said.

"Why?" Kiley asked. "Do you not want me to stay with you anymore? I'm sorry I keep waking you up with having nightmares."

"Kiley, relax. That's not it. You're not in trouble." Rick said. "Jordan and I just think it would be good for you to get out of the house for a few days. We're just trying to help you, Kiley."

"I took a couple of a day shifts. We can get food out to eat, watch movies, and do other stuff. It'll be like a girls night." Jordan said. "It'll be fun."

"I packed a bag for you with some clothes and everything you need." Rick said.

"Ok." Kiley said.

"Try to have some fun while you're with Jordan." Rick said. Kiley nodded.

"Come on. Let's get going." Jordan said. Kiley said goodbye to Rick and walked Jordan's car.

"Thank you for doing this, Jordan." Rick said.

"Of course." Jordan said. "Anything for Kiley." Jordan went and caught up with Kiley. They both got in the car. "How about we get fast food and ice cream and bring it back to the house." Jordan said, driving down the road.

"Ok." Kiley said, although she didn't really want to eat.

A little bit later, they got to Jordan's house with the food. Jordan put the ice cream in the fridge and got TV dinner trays out.

"Actually, I'm not really hungry." Kiley said. "I'm sorry."

"Kiley, you need to eat something." Jordan said.

"I said I'm not hungry!" Kiley said.

"Ok." Jordan said. "I'll leave it in the kitchen, in case you do get hungry."

"Ok." Kiley said. She thought about what Drew said and him wanting her to eat, but she just missed him too much. They sat on the couch and Jordan put Mean Girls on.

"So, how have you been?" Jordan asked.

"I'm ok." Kiley said. "I miss Drew a lot, though."

"I know you do." Jordan said. "That's why Rick and I thought it would be a good for you to spend a couple days with me." Kiley nodded. "How's track going?" Jordan asked.

"It's going great." Kiley said, perking up. She always enjoyed talking about track. It was her favorite thing.

"You look good out there." Jordan said.

"Thanks." Kiley said. They continued to eat and watch movies.

After watching three movies, Jordan looked at Kiley. "It's getting late. Time for bed." She said. "You have school in the morning."

"Ok." Kiley said as she got up from the couch.

"Rick told me you've been having nightmares, so if you want, you can leave your door open a little bit." Jordan said.

"Thank you." Kiley said again, before going into her room to get ready for bed.