Chapter 24

The next morning, they were all eating breakfast. It was quiet with the three of eating in silence. Afterwards, they put the dishes in the sink.

"Go finish getting ready and we'll bring you to school." Drew said. Kiley nodded and went to her room to finish getting ready.

A few minutes later, Kiley walked out of her room. "Ready?" Rick asked.

"Yeah." Kiley said. Drew grabbed the keys and they headed out to the car.

Later that afternoon, Kiley was sitting on the bench stretching before her track meet. She looked up in the stands and saw Drew and Rick. Along with Jordan and Krista.

Hannah came over to her. "Hey Kiley." She greeted.

"Hey." Kiley said.

"Hey, are you ok?" Hannah asked.

"Not really." Kiley said.

"What's wrong?" Hannah asked.

"You know how Drew is in the military?" Kiley asked.

"Yeah." Hannah said.

"They're sending him to Afghanistan." Kiley continued. "I found out last night."

"When does he leave?" Hannah asked.

"Tonight." Kiley answered.

"How long is he going to be gone for?" Hannah asked.

"Six months." Kiley replied. "He wasn't even going to tell me until today. The only reason I found out last night was because I overheard he and Rick talking about it."

"I'm sorry, Kiley." Hannah said.

"Thanks." Kiley said.

Just then, a whistle blew. "We better get ready." Hannah said. Kiley got in line with everyone else.

When the person shot the pistol, Kiley started running as fast a she could. She could hear them cheering her on. She usually didn't care if she got in the top three or not. She did it because she enjoyed it. But she wanted to win for Drew. She ended up getting in fourth place.

Drew, Rick, Jordan, and Krista all came up to her and hugged her. "Congrats, Kiley." They all said.

"Thanks." Kiley said.

After the meet, Kiley, Drew, and Rick went out to dinner.

"I'm proud of you, Ki." Drew said as they ate.

"Thank you." Kiley said, looking down at her food. She was still upset with Drew not telling that he was leaving.

"Kiley, I know you're upset with me and you have every right to be. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." Drew said. "But I really don't want to leave with you being upset with me."

"Ok." Kiley said. "I'm sorry."

After eating dinner and ice cream, they were at the airport. Kiley was trying really hard not to cry. Drew said goodbye to Rick and looked at Kiley.

"I love you so much, Kiley." Drew said.

"I love you too." Kiley said, hugging Drew. Tears rolled down her face as she couldn't hold in her crying.

"Shh. It'll be ok." Drew said, consoling her. "We'll be able to video chat. I'll be back soon and when I get back, we'll get your adoption started."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." Kiley said.

"It's going to be ok." Drew said. Kiley nodded.

Drew kissed Kiley on the forehead and walked to his terminal. Kiley watched him walk away with tears in her eyes. She and Rick waited for Drew's plane took off.

"It'll be ok, Kiley." Rick said as they got in the car. "He'll be home soon."

Kiley just nodded and looked out the window as Drew's plane took off.