Chapter Nineteen: Downfall

THE house was quiet as Selena sat alone at the kitchen table sipping her coffee

THE house was quiet as Selena sat alone at the kitchen table sipping her coffee. A few days had passed since Letty showed up on her front porch with a bruised face. It took longer than The Vega woman would have preferred but Letty eventually spilled the details of what had happened to her.

Celia Cruz, that horrible woman had done the damage to Letty's face. It took everything in Selena's body to not find out where that disgusting woman lived and give her a piece of her mind, but Letty refused to give her Celia's address. Letty didn't want Selena getting in trouble (or worse) because of her piece of shit mother.

Selena let out a sigh as she stared down at her phone, her finger hovering over EZ's number. The brunette had thought about calling him for days now, since Letty showed up, but her pride and hurt heart wouldn't let her. She knew he had called and texted multiple times since that night at the scrapyard but they all went unanswered. Selena knew sooner or later she would have to talk to or see EZ (and sooner rather than later) because she needed to tell someone about Letty.

"Morning, Lena." Letty's voice interrupted Selena's thoughts as the teenager entered the kitchen with a small smile on her purple and yellow bruised face.

"Morning, Letty." Selena smiled at the teenaged brunette. "There's some bagels if you're hungry." She added while pointing to the freshly baked bag of bagels sitting on the counter.

Letty nodded, but decided to sit down at the table instead. "Thank you, Lena."

"It's just bagels." Selena said with a small laugh as she sensed the seriousness in Letty's voice. "You don't need to thank me for bagels, Letty." She assured the teenager.

"It's not the bagels I'm thanking you for." Letty stated matter of fact, rolling her brown eyes playfully at the older brunette. "You took a chance on me. That day I walked into Dahlia books you don't look down on me. You hired me even though I had no experience and now, now you're letting me stay here. You're a good person and there's not a lot of good people in the world — at least in my world."

Selena reached her hand over to place on top of Letty's. She could feel tears building up in her green eyes, it was obvious The Cruz teen had been through a lot in her short life and Selena wanted to do anything she could to help her.

Letty's life reminded Selena a lot like hers when she was the teens age. Celia was practically a copy of her own mother — expect Arabella Vega would never be caught dead hanging around people like Celia Cruz.

"Everything is gonna be alright, Letty." Selena promised with a smile.

✿     ▂▂▂▂▂▂    ✿

A sigh escaped Selena's lips as she and Letty sat in her car outside of the scrapyard. After talking it over with Letty, they decided to make their way to the Mayan clubhouse so that Letty could talk to her brother. Selena had been relieved that Letty was willing to let Coco know what had happened with their mother, but now that they were sitting outside of the clubhouse Selena wasn't so sure if it was really a smart idea after all.

"We have to go in." Letty said with a sigh. "They already know we're here." The young brunette stated the obvious as she motioned towards the porch where EZ, Angel, and Coco all stood with curiosity on their faces.

Selena nodded, her green eyes focused on EZ. "Let's go."

She was there for Letty not EZ. She had been avoiding him for days and could keep on avoiding him. If there was one thing to know about Selena Vega it was that she was stubborn. Especially when her heart had been hurt.

"What the fuck happen to your face?" Coco seethed, stepping off the porch, his dark eyes looking over Letty's bruised face.

"Let's talk inside, Coco." Letty said softly, turning around to give Selena a small smile before walking into the clubhouse with an angry Coco close behind her.

The silence that grew between Selena, EZ, and Angel was painfully awkward. Selena wanted to say something, anything but her stubbornness wouldn't let her. Instead she just stood there with her arms across her chest, avoiding eye contact with the younger Reyes brother.

"Have fun, little bro." Angel whispered, patting EZ on the back, a low chuckle leaving his mouth as he made his way back into the clubhouse.

"Hi." EZ spoke after a moment.

There was so much more he wanted to say than just a simple 'hi' but Selena had been avoiding him, not answers his calls or texts and maybe just maybe she'd finally talk to him since she couldn't really avoid him in person.

"Hi." Selena's voice was low so low that EZ almost didn't hear her at first.

"Lena, can we talk?" EZ asked while rubbing the back of his neck as he stepped off the porch, making his way slowly towards Selena.

Selena watched as EZ slowly made his way towards her, closing the gap between them. His cologne immediately filled her senses making the brunette want to wrap her arms around his torso.

"I don't think that's a good idea right now." Selena shook her head, taking a step back from EZ.

A deep sigh left EZ's mouth. He was beginning to grow frustrated with Lena. The Reyes man just wanted a chance to explain that what she had walked in on a few nights ago was absolutely nothing, but she refused to let him explain anything to her.  It was frustrating.

"When do you think would be a good time?" He questioned, his tone having a bit of an attitude to it.

Selena scoffed at the attitude in EZ's voice. "I don't know."

EZ nodded not knowing what else he could say to the green eyed brunette. It was obvious she didn't want to talk to him anymore and honestly, he didn't feel like talking to her much either right now.

"Bye, Lena." EZ said before making his way back into the clubhouse.

Selena let out a sigh as she watched EZ walk back into the clubhouse, leaving her standing outside by herself. Stubbornness had always been one of Selena's downfalls and it might just have been her downfall when it came to her relationship with EZ.

_____________

A/N:
Thank you for all the views, votes, and comments! I really appreciate it!