Abet

Chapter Three
Abet

Do you know what that (^) means?

-*-*-*-

"You should throw a party since it's going to be a Saturday tomorrow," Talia suggests, urging me to throw a dorm party for my 18th birthday. "Wait. Your birthday is on the eighth of August right?"

"Yes it is."

"Great! It's settled then, we're going to throw you a birthday party tomorrow."

"I've only been here two weeks and your already telling me I should throw a party," I say. "And I don't even have room for a party!"

"Come on, Melody. It would be awesome, I can buy everything if your going to be that stubborn. I'll invite people too."

"No way Talia. Not a lot of people, and don't invite people I don't know. Invite-"

"Okay Melody, no strangers. But common, you only turn eighteen once."

"Tal, I have an entire year to do what an eighteen year olds can do. That's plenty of time." I say, almost for a second thinking about ending the call just to shut her up.

"Don't end the call," she says quickly, somehow reading my mind through my phone. "I can Ms Standee if we could have a spare hall for it."

"Ms Standee?" I ask.

"Art director, she organises the plays and stuff like that."

"And she'll let you have a party at your Uni for a student at another Uni.

"Yeah! She's chilled like that." Over the phone I hear sounds of another voice. A guy's voice, I close my eyes, focusing all my energy on that voice.

And for a second I swear it sounds like him. But I doubt it. Why is he at Talia's university? It doesn't make sense. He's gone, probably somewhere else in the world. At another university, with another girl.

"I gotta go Mel, come at seven. You know where Reading Uni is." She ends the call and I sigh, tossing my phone onto my bed. I lie back sighing as I do so rubbing my face with my hands.

I sit up after a while, staring at my untouched suitcase sitting diagonally opposite of my bed- my things still inside. I push myself off the bed, picking up my phone and playing music whilst I force myself to unpack.

I kneel on the ground in front of it, unzipping the front pocket, taking out my laptop and putting it on my desk chair. I place the charger on top of the desk. Next, I open the main zipper. One by one I take out my clothes, sorting them in piles. (shirts, pants, shorts, tank tops, etc.)

I crouch picking up two piles in either hand and placing them in the closet opposite the desk and next to my bed. Once I finish putting away all the clothes and I reach the bottom of my suitcase- where all the small objects are.

Still, at the bottom of the suitcase I left one thing. Two to be accurate. His jersey and his note. I take out the note tucked away in the pocket of the jersey, unraveling it.

Don't forget Mel.

I bite my lip, flipping over the page to the another note. I run my thumb over his messily written handwriting, a smile growing on my lips.

An item for remembrance, Melody.
thirteen eleven.

Thirteen eleven, I think as I crush the note in my hand, closing my eyes.

I don't get it. Why did he leave after he kissed me? Come back after the break and act like nothing happened? It doesn't make sense, what was he trying to do?