Come Again?

Chapter Twenty One
Come Again?

You know, everyone always writes: and then all I see is black, or something like, then everything is black, and they end the chapter. Something that drives suspense if s/he survives or not.

I think that's a whole load of BS. But whatever, it's your book. I'm not going to criticise it. I'm just saying I've read a lot of Wattpad books and they always do that.

- Lalala

---

I can't breathe, can't speak, can't feel. All I can see is the flashing red and blue. Red blue red blue red blue.

They run over to me. Two people dressed in police uniforms, and another two people dressed in doctor wear. I groan and I feel air hit my legs as they open each door in the car.

"She's loosing a lot of blood," one doctor says.

"We need to get her on the gurney."

"Fuck," a policeman says breathing through clenched teeth, "she has glass in her back."

"Darling, I need you to relax," a female nurse says, she's dressed in home clothes. What time is it? "I need you to focus on anything but your body. This is going to hurt."

Two men stand on the front of the car. I suck in a sharp breath as they touch my right hand scrunched up in front of my face. "Love, I need you to breathe," his breath brushes the side of my face, "what's your name?"

"Melody," someone says. "Her drivers license."

He nods, or I can sense he's nodding because he doesn't reply. "Melody, sunshine, I need you to breathe and breathe and breathe."

They slide hands under my waist, I cry out in terrorising pain. Yet they don't stop, one man - the one who called me sunshine and love - takes my upper body. The other lifts my legs up from the wheel.

Tears are waterfalling out of my eyes. "There's so much blood," the policeman who handles my torso says, "get her on the gurney, promptly."

And I'm lowered onto a moving bed, moving in and out of consciousness. They place a mask over my face for oxygen. Something around my neck. "Remember what I said, Melody."

I look up at the sky, breathing. Creating a fog within the mask. They wet a cloth, placing it on my forehead. "We need to get her on the ambulance. Now."

Immediately after that is said, they lift the gurney up, sliding me into the ambulance. Despite my condition, I reach out a hand to the policeman.

It brushes against his uniform. He turns around, rushing up to me. "Don't," another doctor says, "she's running out of strength."

I take of the oxygen mask, "call . . . " I fight for a breath, he jumps onto the ambulance, calling out to the other policemen that he'll stay.

He looks like Conrad. Black hair, green eyes. Except his hair is curlier and shorter. He doesn't smell like Conrad. He smells like coffee and gun powder. I find his features comforting.

Around him the hollow in my chest sways between fullness. "Melody," he warns with lips that looks like Conrad's. Expect Conrad probably kisses better.

He puts the oxygen mask back on me, his hand touches mine and it feels nothing like Conrad's. His is dry and callused from holding guns and driving around all night.

The female nurse gently touches my upper arm, "is their anyone you want us to call, someone other than your parents?"

I breathe, inhaling and exhaling to catch my heartbeat. My eyes semi-close, I fight them to stay open. Fighting the overpowering nerve of unconsciousness. I don't want to sleep.

I take off the mask for a second, only to utter one word before I fall into a dreamless sleep where I hope leads to one of Conrad's kisses.

"Talia."

---END OF CHAPTER TWENTY ONE---

Yes yes yes. We've reached the somewhat climax of this story.

Natty