Upside Down World

Chapter Thirteen
Upside Down World

Baby I know places we won't be found
- T.S. 1989

---

I sit on the bed and we switch rolls. He stands, watching me. I sit on the bed, watching him.

"Melody," he steps closer to me as he speaks, "I'm sorry about what happened at the café."

I stand up as he nears, "its fine."

Are you scared of me, Melody?
Scared of what I'll do?

He shakes his head, "it's really not."

Don't pretend not to be effected, Melody. Don't say when I kiss you it isn't anything.

I step aside from him- my 'bad girl' mood slowly diminishing. And in its place a new mode where I don't want to kiss Conrad right now. Do you think that I don't see what your doing?

The normal routine takes place again. Him stepping forward- me stepping back. I get pushed up against the wall. I say, "don't."

It all happens. But this time he stops a metre away from me. "Melody," he looks at me solemnly, "don't."

I can't bear to look at him- at his eyes as they silently plead don't do this to me, Melody. Don't back away now.

I grind my teeth into my bottom lip, guilt finally catching up to me, "it's just like Kyle again. You. Me. This."

"Yet, your dating Jack."

I look down my shoes, "I am."

"Do you want to?"

I look up at him, he doesn't look at me. "I-" my voice cracks and I sigh, "I think so."

"Do you like him?"

He looks up, his eyes locking with mine. His dark hair falls gracefully into his eyes as he makes the switch from gazing at the floor to at me. His green eyes glisten with moist tears.

The sound of keys turning in a lock snap us out of our inadvisable daydream. Just one more minute and I could've finally let Conrad go. A part of me pleads one more minute but the another half doesn't plead- its thankful for Talia entering the room.

Talia puts her books on her desk and my watch beeps it's three 'o' clock! Conrad saunters slowly and silently to the door Talia left open, running a hand through his hair on the way there, "I'll . . . See you later."

He closes the door behind him and with the click of the lock locking and I break down to my knees. Talia rushes to my side. I push her off, "go to Conrad."

She bites her lip looking at me for a meaningful amount of time before standing up and walking out the room.

I don't cry. I have nothing to cry about. My body instead cries- pleads for me to get up and go to Conrad to finish our conversation. But I know my body doesn't want that, the other part of my heart doesn't want that.

I bite the corner of my lip. Just one more minute. I shake my head. I don't want that minute anymore. I want to forget, erase everything that happened between Conrad and I. Kyle and I. Jack and I.

I wish Conrad never took my diary. I wouldn't be in the situation right now if I weren't for him.

***

I rush down the corridor when I see Conrad near the end. "Conrad?"

He turns around. "She's gone, Talia."

I furrow my eye brows. "What do you mean gone?"

He runs a hand though his hair signing loudly, "I can't-" he bites his bottom lip looking away and closing his eyes for a second. "She's not going to fall for me again. She's with Jack."

"What about that deal you make."

He pulls on his hair kicking the wall. "Fuck that bet Talia!"

I take a step towards him, "Conrad." I touch his cheek. "You can't give up so soon."

He moves his face away from my hand. "She said it herself, it's just like Kyle again. She's careful now. She's not going to fall for me easily like before. She's not going to let go of Jack that easily."

"If she's not going to let go of Jack- then Jack has to let go of her."

"He's not going to do that- just like Kyle."

"But what happened to Kyle? He cheated on her in the end." I recall winking. "Maybe Jack is too. What can I say?" I smirk and he sideways glances at me, hope in his eyes, "Melody has a thing for dating cheaters. She doesn't know it- but they do."

"Seriously?" He smiles his eyes dilating with happiness. The mood changes- shifts to a lighter happier atmosphere. "Who is it?"

I pat his back pushing him towards the stairs. "Find out for yourself- then make him confess to her." I go on my toes to reach his ear and I whisper, "I heard there was a party last Friday." With that said he runs down the stairs.

I smile walking down the corridor to my own room. But when I walk in there's no sign of Melody. I knock on the bathroom door but it's unlocked with nobody inside. I check the balcony but it stays vacant, but open.

My phone screen flashes on with a notification. I walk up to it on my desk.

Melody: I had to leave.

---END OF CHAPTER THIRTEEN---

Why? I don't know. That's for you to conclude :)
- Natty