Pain Killer

Chapter Twenty Two
Pain Killer |Day Of Accident|

***

"Baby you got me sick
I don't know what I did
Need to take a break and figure it out
Got your voice in my head saying lets just be friends
Can't believe the worst came out of your mouth-"

I groan, sliding the answer button on my phone. "Hello," I say groggily.

"Ms McIntyre," his voice is husky, low and attractive, "I have news about Melody Melendez."

My body trembles, and my hand shakes against my face. "What is it?" I say just above a whisper.

"She's been in an accident, a serious one for that matter." My heart stops and I can't breathe, "we've already contacted her parents, and they're on their way. Melody personally asked for us to call you."

Melody, I think. "What happened?"

"I sorry to say I can't answer your question right now. As we are currently going through street camera footage."

"How long ago did this happen?"

He sighs, "five hours ago, maybe longer." He sounds young. Like in his early twenties, not older than me but a few years. "She's already been through surgery."

"Okay, I'll be there."

"She's at Wexham (Spelling Is Wrong, I think) Hospital . . . " loud noise fills the background, he pauses and I hear Melody's mum: where's my baby?! Where's my Melody?!

He ends the call and I don't blame him. Before I change, I dial a persons number who I think is important enough just like her mum.

Three rings and he picks up, "Conrad," I say breathless. "Its Melody, she's-"

"I know," the pain is audible in his voice, "I'm on my way to your room . . . hurry."

His voice chokes at the end, he covers it with a cough but I know it's not that.

I sprint to my closet, picking out a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, pulling them on and stuffing my mouth with a packet of spearmint bubble gum.

One knock and I run to the door picking up my keys on the way. "Talia," he says, his peppermint breath splashing onto my face. I waste no time in greetings, I take his hand running down the hallways shutting the door with my foot.

At his car, he unlocks it a meter away. I rip open the passenger side door jumping in. My heart is going a mile a minute. "Talia," he says again, touching my leg but I usher him off.

"Drive, Conrad, drive."

He exhales, driving.

---

At the hospital, I rush through the doors. We stop at the reception desk, "Melody," I say at once. She looks up from her computer, squinting her eyes as if I'm hard to make out.

"Are you Talia McIntyre?" She asks.

"I am," I say.

"Floor 4, room 6. Emergencies." She adds at the end as if I didn't understand Melody's accident isn't dangerous to her life at all.

"Thank you," I say spitefully, running to the elevator besides the desk.

I see Melody's mum sitting through large wooden doors with small windows pass the waiting room. I push open the doors, getting weird looks from families who are here for their loved ones.

She spots me running down the corridor, standing from the chairs set up in front of Mel's room. I run into her arms, the tears finally catching up. I sob into her shoulder, "she's fine. But unconscious. She lost too much blood . . . " I pull away, following her gaze to Conrad.

I sit, watching as Mel's mum take Conrad into her arms like he were her own son. I smile small, as Conrad takes the seat besides me- wiping his eyes from tears he doesn't want seen.

"Mr and Mrs Melendez," a nurse says exiting from the door besides Mel's, her mum and dad stand, holding each other in their arms, the nurse looks up from her board, a solemn smile on her winkle free face. "We have good and bad news."

Mel's mum looks up at her husband, they kiss, and her dad says, "we'll hear the good news first."

Mel's room is in front of us, with blue curtains covering windows we can't look into. There's a wooden door, with a square window and a label above it: R6.

"Your daughter is responding well to the medication," everyone passes a hopeful look, "she's lucky to be alive judging by the amount of blood loss."

I see Mel's mum emotionally and physically relax in her husbands arm.

"And the bad news?" Conrad says, standing up besides Mel's parents, I stand besides Conrad giving him a small hopeful look. The nurse watches us one by one, stopping at Conrad eyes.

"Temporarily, she'll have partial memory loss."

Mel's mum falls into a chair with the husband besides her in the next chair. She runs a hand through her hair, "memory loss," she murmurs unable to comprehend.

"Temporary amnesia, Mrs Melendez, she'll remember things before a certain date. Sooner or later everything will come back. Right now, we need to leave her be, she's painfully weak."

"When will-" my voice is cut off from a male nurse leaving Melody's room, his eyes meet Conrad's before anyone's else's.

"Conrad?" He asks, raising one eyebrow, tucking a clipboard under his armpit.

Conrad steps closer to him, to Melody's door. "Yeah?"

"She's-" he looks at him up and down, checking his unstable presence "-asking for you.

Then the nurse opens the door to Mel's room and Conrad steps in with sleeping, delicate Melody, passing me a smile before he closes the door.

---END OF CHAPTER TWENTY TWO---

La la la la la :P
- Naattyyy