Inviting the Invitee

Chapter Six
Inviting the Invitee

---

I exhale saying his name again- less shocked, "Jack!"

He laughs releasing my hand, "hey Mel."

I hug him awkwardly across my seat. "How are you- When did you get here?"

He pulls back keeping one hand on my waist. "Few weeks ago."

"Really." I say continuing to look him in the eye. To my amazement, he starts to lean in and crazily enough I start too.

That stupid Skype notification breaks us both out of our trace. He pulls his arm away from my waist abruptly. "Sorry," I mutter.

I bite my whole bottom lip, hard. My thoughts piercing my entire body with knifes.

I was about to kiss Jack.
Without a second thought.
And I just met him after ten months.

I push my screen open. For sure the message was from Talia.

Talia: Melody

She's offline, but I'll still reply.

Talia: You better come or else.

I scoff. What would you do, Talia?

Talia: One 'o' clock. Theatre Royal, Windsor. BE THERE.

I semi-close the screen; a thought filling my mind, turning to Jack. I catch his gaze. "Would you like to come with us- me to Windsor tomorrow . . . At one?"

"Sure," he answers with a smile and my insides scream with joy.

Melody: okay and I'm bringing a surprise ;)

I quickly minimise Skype before Jack saw what I wrote. I smile sweetly at him, closing the laptop. "So," I say, trying to start small talk. "Designing."

"Sucks right?" He jokes. I laugh awkwardly but it dies off quickly.

The teacher enters the room and the tension in the air quickly lessens. I exhale, looking anywhere but at him.

The teacher starts talking about things for these three years with him. I type what's on the projected screen thoughtlessly because all my thoughts are directed to the person sitting besides me.

Your single.

I smile at the thought. I am single. I'm not with Kyle anymore. I don't have him in the back of my mind anymore.

I mute the sounds just in time as Talia's reply appears in the top-right of my screen.

Talia: Who?

Talia: did you get a boyfriend!

I laugh silently to myself.

Melody: Can't say.

Melody: I'm single

---

"Baby I know places we won't be found,
And they'll be chasing their tails trying to track us down,
Cause I, I know places we can hide,
I know places,"

A knock on my door interrupts the song. I push off the bed, muting the song in the process.

I open the door to a old female woman I recognise at once. "Melody," she says.

I smile, "Ms Nita. What is it?"

The receptionist - Ms Nita- smiles widely. "There's something waiting for you downstairs."