Backstory

Chapter Nineteen
Backstory

Guess what!!! I can tell you how many chapters are left in this book!!!
Happy aren't you!! There are currently 38 chapters remaining.
But like I'm already on the 41st. So there's fifteen remaining.

FIFTEEN CHAPTERS REMAINING!

I might update the 22 chapters at once. Just to get this book over with.
Comment if you want that. (^)

I'm guessing 15 chapters left. It might be a few chapters more. I'm defiantly not going to say less. It might be more depending on how detailed I make them.

---

I run two hands through my hair, "you talk to Conrad about me?" I say my back turned to her. She touches my shoulder- I shrug her off. "What the fuck does he even say?"

He's talking to my mum. That bastard is talking to my mum.

"You mostly, he can't stop talking about you." She pauses and I can sense her smiling, "he asks about your childhood. About Daren."

I should blush, I should smile and think it's sweet that he wants to find out more about me. About my brother. But I don't I feel anything but resent.

It shouldn't be Conrad who asks about my childhood. It shouldn't be a boy who I want nothing to do with anymore. It should be a boy I kissed last night, slept with a few days ago. A boy named Jack.

"You've always been such an over thinker," mum chuckles, "you can't stay happy unless you've filled all the loopholes. Judged all the aspects."

"Shut up," I mutter quiet enough so she doesn't hear.

Shut up, shut up, shut the fuck up.

"He asked about Daren, Melody." She turns me around, making her see my flat expression. "Daren."

"I know who he is, mum."

"Don't give me attitude, Mel. Conrad's a good guy, you should be nicer to him."

I scoff, rolling my eyes and sitting on an armrest. "Conrad? Do you remember what he did to me? My diary? Graduation? Are you seriously not going to support your daughter? Your the one who told me I shouldn't leave Kyle for Conrad. And now your telling me I should leave Jack for him too!"

"I didn't know Conrad then, I knew Kyle. It's only natural to think Kyle is better."

I scoff mumbling, "he is better."

She changes the subject, "he and Talia have gotten close, don't you think?"

I glance at my watch, 5:19. We've been at this for twenty minutes. "Right. Yeah," I say getting slowly detached to this topic. "What does he say about me?"

"It's quite disturbing to be honest. To you, I mean. To me it's adorable."

"What is it?"

"Your touch, lips-" I look away, unable to take it all in staring into my mothers eyes "- basically, you."

"Anything else," I say through clenched teeth.

"Not that I know of."

I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand, uncomfortable once again, "did he mention anything we did?"

"Kissed, cuddled, stripped, but that's just what Talia's told me." She winks sitting in front of me.

My mouth drops, "Talia?" I run hands though my hair, she told my mum I was naked in front of Conrad. Fuck fuck fuck.

"We didn't sleep together, mum." I say in reinsurance in case Talia missed out the important, valid details.

"I know that of course, Conrad said so."

"Is there anything Conrad or Talia didn't tell you?" I say with hostility.

"Why your dating Jack," she says back with venom.

I don't reply because of the noise from my phone.

"I had a dream the other night,
About how we only get one life,
Woke me up after two, stayed awake and stared at you,
So I wouldn't lose my mind . . . "

I take the phone out of my pocket, scuttering to the closest open room, shutting the door behind me. It's a spare bedroom. I sit down on the bed, answering the call.

"Hey," I say.

"Hi," he says, too fast, too breathy. "What's-" he groans, sucking in a sharp breath.

"You okay?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows into the dimness.

"Fine-" pauses, I take the hotel notebook and pen into hand "-I just twisted my ankle."

I open my mouth to say something but he interrupts me. "I need to tell you something."

I smile, widely, thinking he's going to say something romantic that I can write down and remind him in the future. 'Hey, darling, remember when you said this . . . '

He coughs, clears his throat and says, "Melody?" At my silence.

I write, I need to tell you something. Then, Melody?

"What is it?" I ask, excitement bubbling in my blood. My hand shakes in the paper as I write w-h-a-t i-s i-t ?

"I'm . . . " as he pauses, I write. " . . . seeing another girl."

My happiness deflates, the pen freezes on paper. "What?" I mutter, my voice trembling and my smile shrinking.

"I w-was," dull, quiet, faded shuffling movement, "seeing someone."

Was, I think. He was- not anymore. I fight all my fading energy to stay high enough to keep a plastered smile on my face. To remind myself: He isn't like Kyle. He isn't like Kyle. He isn't like Kyle. Jack Jack Jack Jack.

"Was," I say repeating his stuttered words, "so you stopped."

A groan, then a cough. I write down everything I hear, everything we say. "I have-"

I interrupt him, scared to find out which contraction he used: have, haven't. "That doesn't matter, you love me, I love you. We can work this out. You and I-"

"That's the thing," he says after a short intake of breath.

"What is," I say, my voice continuing to tremble and break. But I tell myself, stay strong stay strong stay strong. Mum knocks on the door.

"I love Stacey, not you."

---END OF CHAPTER NINETEEN---

Awe. Doesn't life suck for her :(

REMEMBER. TO. BREATHE.

You'll need to remember that for the next chapter :)

Anndd. Something to think about: why was Jack coughing, groaning and breathy?

- Hehehe Natty