Chapter 19

^^^Lucy Hale as Madison Connor

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"He's the Life Elemental?" Rachel asked in shock.

"No way." Maddie whispered.

I stayed silent. According to Elemental history, after the arrival of a Life Elemental, the Leaders of The Elementals would step down and give their positions up to the next rulers. Who would they be?

"And I am also fully aware," Principal Nicholson continued. "That The Ascension will be coming up soon. Therefore, I've just receieved word that the Leaders will select the new rulers tomorrow. No one knows where they'll be headed, so please be on your best behavior in case they come."

Hushes whispers broke out around the cafeteria. Noah leaned it and beckoned us closer. With a low voice, he said, "The Leaders are preparing for the Ascension. It means they're planning on...retiring soon."

"They'll never pick us. There's only like a one in a million chance of any of us becoming the next Leaders. I mean, who'd pick unexperienced teenagers over some knowledgable adults?" Lily reasoned.

"It won't be us." Outside, I may have looked confident and assured, but inside, it felt like someone had released a whole zoo in my stomach. "We won't be the next Leaders."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, all 8 of us were huddled together, at the same table again. I felt someone tap my shoulder. "Mind if I sit?" Daniel shifted on his feet awkwardly. "Course not." I moved over a little. He nodded at me gratefully and sat down. "I  feel so popular; everyone wants to hang out with us." Logan joked.

Tension suddenly fell upon everyone like a thick, heavy blanket and everyone stopped talking for no apparent reason. The silence was so loud, it was almost deafening.

"What the hell is happening?" Aurelia muttered. Flynn, being the closest to the doors, craned his neck and peered outside, thinking it was the Principal or something like that. "Oh my God, shit." His eyes grew rapidly till they were the size of golf balls.

"What?" To be honest, his voice kind of scared me a little.

"The Leaders," He swallowed nervously. "They're here."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Students, these are the Leaders. They're here to pick the next rulers." Principal Nicholson was very obviously freaking out just as much as us, only she did a better job of hiding it. She started smoothening out her navy jacket and pencil skirt, before her hands flew to her hair, up in an elegant hairdo.

"Ah, Sara Nicholson. I've heard many things about you." The Leaders were all young-looking, despite them being at least a thousand years old. Their eyes had this kind of age-old wisdom that could only be gained from centuries of experience. They wore long silk cloaks that seemed to ripple and shimmer with every single movement they made. The cloaks were in different colours, each representing their individual Element. In the middle, a man with jet black hair and clear blue eyes spoke up with a kind smile. His gold and silver cloak sparkled a little at the sunlight pouring in from the window.

Principal Nicholson's hands froze, halfway in the process of tucking a stray lock of hair back into her bun. "Pardon?"

"Don't worry, all good things. You have provided a good service towards our race."

She bowed slightly in gratitude, clearly not expecting that answer. "Thank you."

The man turned his charming smile towards us. "Students of Mystique Academy, as you know, we're the Leaders and we hope you're having a good day so far." Murmured replies could be heard around the whole room. "We hope to find the future Leaders here so we can step down from our roles and retire in peace."

"But first things first," A woman with blond hair stepped foward, her grey eyes dancing. "Can the Life Elemental please come foward?"

"Fayre," The man laughed. "Patience."

"Well, Thorne, I want to see who'll take over my Element." She shot back. "Anyone?"

Silence passed a while, before Daniel cleared his throat and stood up. "Ah, so, my future designated ruler." Fayre smiled gently at him.

"Alright, the Leaders will be walking round now." Principal Nicholson piped up, still looking quite pleased with herself for getting the approval of the Leaders.

The Leaders nodded and scattered, all gliding gracefully across the floor, their eyes moving around, observing every single one of us carefully. The man named Thorne came over to our table, his eyes alight with curiosity. He looked at each of us before his gaze fell on me. And stayed there. I fidgeted anxiously. Why was he looking at me that way? He nodded a little and smiled. I smiled back a little nervously, figuring that it would be pretty rude not to respond back to that.

For some reason, all the Leaders were suddenly assembled behind Thorne, taking a very special interest in the 9 of us. They whispered to each other, but I couldn't focus enough to decipher what they were saying.

"That will be all now, thank you Principal Nicholson. I think we've seen enough." Thorne nodded and started to leave, all the other Leaders following suit.

The doors slammed shut behind them and I let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. "Alright students, continue your break. You have fifteen minutes before class resumes." Principal Nicholson called out.

I picked up my fork and pierced some fries, stuffing them into my mouth. I tried to concentrate on a ridiculous story that Logan was telling, something about a girl slapping him.

"So she slapped you?" Lily exclaimed.

"Yeah! For no reason whatsoever!" He scoffed indignantly, like it was a crime worthy of the death sentence.

"You told her a dirty pickup line! I mean seriously, 'I lost my virginity, can I have yours?' is never gonna cut it!" Rachel was in hysterics, grabbing onto her stomach as she nearly collapsed on the floor.

I zoned out after seven seconds, lost in my own world again. Something had been bugging me ever since the Leaders left and it seemed like the harder I tried to forget it, the more I remembered. And for the rest of the day, I couldn't get the image of a pair of crystalline blue eyes staring at me out of my head.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! Chapter 19 is up! I should be seriously wondering why I wrote this on a school day. O.O It's like I'm on a writing spree right now. But anyways, no one cares. *Shrugs* This chappie is longer...I think...and hope...