Chapter 40

"What news?" Flynn asked.

The Leaders all exchanged looks with one another and Thorne sighed, "I guess it's time we tell them."

The nine of us ourselves, looked at every one of us with identical masks of confusion.

I sunk down deeper a little into the armchair and my hands gripped the armrests tightly, the smooth red velvet caught between my fingers.

This sounded seriously important, like the Leaders knew the piece of news they were going to tell us would affect us greatly. And apparently, we'd be too shocked till they still thought we might fall off the chairs in confusion and surprise.

"Let's start from the beginning, shall we?" Thorne snapped his fingers. A wide slit on the floor opened up and a huge digital screen popped up right in front of us, like those from the Academy but a hundred times bigger.

"Every thousand years, the Leaders select nine Elementals: One Life Elemental, seven Elementals with each possessing different Elements and a single special person who would eventually end up having all Elements."

I could feel someone's gaze on me and when I looked up, for the second time today and third time in my life, I was met with Thorne's eyes. The look in them was dead serious as he stared at me.

"The last person I've mentioned is the most important of all. He or she will become the Supreme Leader and take up the vital role of being the ultimate leader of the Elementals species. Hence, it is essential that the Supreme Leader we have chosen is wise, responsible and able to lead the Elementals."

Maybe it was the fact that he was looking directly at me, but for some reason I felt like those words were directed at me.

Feeling a tiny bit unsettled, I quickly shifted my gaze to the giant screen, seeing that the others were completely immersed with whatever was showing.

The screen flashed scenes from different Ascensions from the very beginning until the most recent one a thousand years ago. I recognised the current Leaders on screen in front of my eyes. They looked the same physically, but I felt like mentally they probably had changed a lot.

The Leaders back then seemed uneasy and nervous. I mean, who wouldn't be, if you were suddenly announced to be the future rulers in charge of a whole race? The people sitting on thrones in front of me now seemed calm, knowledgeable and wise, in retrospect to their past selves.

"Hey," Maddie nudged me and I nodded questioningly at her. "Yeah?"

"Did you see that?" She pointed to something on the screen.

I looked back at it but didn't catch anything special. "Um, no, what?" (This is me in real life, guys :P)

Daniel, on the other side of me, spoke, "Look at what the Leaders are holding."

I squinted my eyes a bit and focused on Fayre -who was right smack in the middle of my sight- and the object in her hands.

It was either a crystal or a gemstone, gleaming a shiny metallic gold. It sparkled in the sun rays like Edward Cullen would on a hot sunny day as Fayre accepted it gratefully from the previous Life Leader.

The other Leaders had the jewels too, in their respective colours of their Elements, of course.

"Huh," Noah murmured. "Wonder what that's all about."

"All the Leaders have them. Those from the previous Ascensions have the exact same ones too." Lily noticed.

"Yeah, maybe they need it for their coronations or something?" Logan mused, shrugging his shoulders at his hypothesis.