Chapter 35

Lily:

"C'mon guys! Time to get up!" A voice rang through the little hut, breaking the peaceful silence.

Protesting groans and unhappy mutters could be heard as everyone woke up.

My eyes fluttered open slowly as I stretched my arms out above me, the muscles on my whole body sore.

I opened my eyes fully and rubbed away the invisible sheen of blurriness on them. And what a pleasant sight for the first thing in the morning, to see Rachel kicking Logan's leg while yelling, "Logan you lazy arse! Wake up!"

I laughed, my throat hoarse after hours of heavy sleep.

Rachel looked in my direction and smiled, momentarily stopping her attack on the now slightly more awake Logan.

Logan's hand shot out onto the floor next to him and groped around (Don't. Just don't) until he found his backpack. Grabbing it singlehandedly, he dumped it over his eyes and used both hands to press it down like a pillow. "Stop it," He mumbled almost incoherently.

Rachel looked back down and as if remembering her purpose in life, started to kick him again, this time on his butt. "Dude, are you deaf or something?"

"No, but I will be soon because of your high-pitched annoying whining."

"Ooh, slay," I whispered, laughing quietly.

"Excuse me?" She exclaimed indignantly. "My voice isn't high! Unlike someone I know who sounds like he hasn't even gone through puberty yet."

I chuckled in amusement. Just then, a voice spoke up next to me, "What's happening?"

I turned to see Ally rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. I nodded towards Rachel and Logan and her piercing blue gaze turned towards them. She snorted, "Fun shenanigans early in the morning."

She then rose up to her full height (Damn, that girl was tall), stretching her arms out as she said to me, "Well, we have to go soon." Ally's stomach grumbled loudly, causing her cheeks to flush a little in embarrassment. "After some breakfast."

She offered a hand to me and I grabbed it gratefully, still scrambling up ungracefully despite her help. We traded smiles as I bent down to pick up my bag. I heard a sleepy yawn escape from her mouth and her footsteps get softer as she exited the hut.

I grabbed my phone and the lockscreen greeted me, along with the digital numbers '6.41 am'.

"Ow!"

Startled, I looked up. I saw a now very awake Logan, along with a very satisfied Rachel, who'd manage to wake him up with a hard slap to the arm and shoulder.

I let out a hearty chortle and watched as Logan exited, grumbling unhappily while secretly flipping his finger at Rachel when she turned her back, before quickly slipping out of the hut before she could catch him.

Rachel turned to me, "Well, that was interesting."

I laughed again and stuffed my phone into the pocket of my jeans. "C'mon, let's go-" I stopped when I looked at her again.

Rachel rose an eyebrow after seeing my face, "What? Is there something on my face?"

I continued scrutinising her face, until she started to look a bit creeped out.

Ok, majorly creeped out.

"Uh, Lily? You okay? You're kinda...scaring me...a little..."

I shook my head, my hazel eyes never leaving her brown ones. "No, but have you been crying?" Her eyes were red-rimmed and blotchy. Plus, the few dry tear stains down her face were pretty obvious clues.

Rachel stiffened as I leaned back. "What? Um...no...?"

"You hesitated." I said simply, quoting Olaf from Frozen.

Her eyes grew. "Wha-"

"Just tell me Rach," I sighed in sympathy.

"Okay, fine. I did. Please don't tell anyone else please. I'm begging you here." She pleaded, looking like a sad little baby pulling a pouty face.

I sighed again. "Alright."

She nodded gratefully and turned to leave. Before she stepped out, I called, "Rachel?"

She turned her head partially to look at me. "Yeah?"

"You know, if you need help or just a shoulder to cry on, look for me, 'kay?" I said gently.

Rachel offered me a small smile. "Yeah. Thanks Lily."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"So, what's our next move?" Flynn asked, dusting some potato chip crumbs and seasoning of his hands.

"Hm, I guess we continue looking for the Palace. What else can we do after all?" Maddie questioned, crushing an empty paper bag in her hands.

"After we see the Leaders, what are we even supposed to do?" Aurelia frowned.

"Let's just go with the flow. We'll plan next time. For now, let's just focus on actually getting there." Rachel suggested.

We all nodded in agreement.

In my peripheral vision, I saw Noah look at Rachel and give her a questioning and curious look. In turn, Rachel looked back at him from the corner of her eye and nodded slightly, before mouthing the words 'I'm fine' to him.

What's up with that? Since when did they become all close and intimate chums?

"I guess we should leave now?" Logan's voice broke me out of my musing.

"Yep, let's go." Ally accepted Daniel's offered hand and hauled herself up from the ground with his support.

Suddenly, a rustle sounded from behind a few bushes.

I whipped around, my eyes flitting to the shrubs and tall trees surrounding us. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes..." Noah slowly pulled his knife out from his belt loop.

We stood frozen in silence, waiting for more sounds. All was quiet in the clearing, the only noise from the chirping birds and insects.

Before I could register anything, a snarl rang through the clearing and a dark figure wooshed past everyone and landed heavily on me.

A small shriek escaping my lips, I found myself eye-to-eye with a possessed Elemental. She growled fiercely, eyes glowing a dark forest green.

She retracted her hand while her other arm held me down. My eyes widened rapidly to the size of golf balls and a strangled scream caught in my throat.

In her hand was a knife blade, the shiny metal reflecting the bright rays of the sun and the sharp tip pointing dangerously down at my heart.

She brought her hand down at the speed of light before I could even react and excruciating pain overtook my whole world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OMG GUYS I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT POSTING YESTERDAY. I WAS SO BUSY WITH MY DAMN PROJECTS THAT IT TOTALLY SLIPPED MY MIND.

Hope this slightly shorter chapter made up for it a little :P Enjoy!

Heh, it's fun experimenting and trying out different POVs. I think it'd be better and more interesting if I write from the others' perspectives instead of just Ally's all the time :)

P.S. I wonder if this counts as a cliffhanger...? Hm...