Chapter 49

^^^Burning Mountain, Wingen, New South Wales, Australia (Aurelia's location)
-------------------------------------------------

Aurelia:

I looked up at the mountain and couldn't help but feel impressed.

So, this was it. The famed Burning Mountain.

I stood quietly amidst a group of excited tourists, who were taking pictures of the mountain, of themselves, or of their families and friends.

Silently shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans, I looked around, trying to spot the Fire Leader.

Nothing.

I remained as people came and went and as the sun continued its journey towards the west.

When the sun was already halfway down the horizon, I pulled out my phone.

5.09p.m.

Seriously?

I grumbled as I pushed my phone back into my backpack.

What kind of Leader makes his apprentice wait for 3 hours?

I puffed out a sigh. Well, not like I could do anything about it anyway.

So, I kept waiting.

After about another 10 minutes, most visitors cleared out the area and I was left alone, with the exception of this one guy taking a selfie with a rock.

But then, even he left too.

I pressed my lips together, feeling irritation rising up in me.

Screw this, if he doesn't show up in the next half hour, I'm leaving.

Just then, a figure appeared in the distance in the quickly approaching darkness. I squinted my eyes.

Guess the Leader finally decided to appear.

When he approached, I could finally get a clear analysis of him unlike at the Palace, where we had all been to distracted to focus on anything else other than our sudden appointments.

He had a very biker-ish kind of style. A black leather jacket and his hair dyed a bright, ostentatious crimson red, with the ends fading out to orange and then yellow, styled in a quiff.

I would have appreciated his hair more if he hadn't made me wait for 3 hours.

He finally reached me and stopped in front of me. There was silence as both our eyes scanned each other, taking in each other's appearances.

He spoke first, nodding his head slightly in approval. "Not bad. 3 hours. Impressive."

I gritted my teeth at that. Who did he think he was? This was probably really inappropriate for me to say, but I literally just met this guy and heard a single sentence come out from his mouth and I was already annoyed.

At that, the corner of his mouth curled up a bit, amused by my show of anger. "Calm down. I had to wait for everyone to leave. Plus, fire looks the most badass at night." He then stuck out his hand, the other stuck in the pocket of his dark leather pants. "Ken."

I stood still for a while, before smirking and grabbing his hand firmly and shaking it. "Like the Barbie doll?"

'Ken' clearly did not like that reference. Now, it was his turn to clench his jaw and release his hand. "Alright then, Aurelia, let's get started." Once he said that, he strode past me, pushing against my shoulder with his slightly.