Chapter 5

Zuko watched Athlea from under his hood. "If you say so," he agreed quietly after a moment. "I'll go pay for my clothes."

"Are we done yet?" Toph suddenly called out.

"We're just waiting on Aang and Sokka now," Katara called from where she was now paying. Zuko came with his things to stand behind her. "Remember that upbeat attitude," Katara muttered to Toph. She lifted her head and called to her brother. "Sokka! Are you two ready yet?"

Sokka and Aang wouldn't quit screwing around, so it took them ages to pay. Because of the timing, they had to wait for a longer time for the next bus, but they made it back to Athlea's eventually, laden with shopping bags. Her house was still empty; they were the only ones.

Athlea helped settle everyone around, as well as making the arrangements for the beds, including an extra bed in the living room. "Okay, well, Katara and Toph will take my room. As for the guest room, it depends on you three," she explained, looking at the three boys.

Katara turned to the boys. She rolled her eyes, not wanting to hear an argument. "Wanna go set things up in our room?" she asked Toph, already leading the way there.

"I'll take the guest room!" Aang said immediately, raising an arm.

Toph crossed her arms. "Are you really going to fight over who will sleep in the guest room and who in the same room with Athlea? That's too funny." She giggled, looking between Sokka and Zuko. After a moment, she turned to follow Katara.

"It kind of is." Athlea agreed.

"HEY!" Sokka exclaimed, clearly annoyed. "Maybe Athlea needs company. From a man." Sokka wiggled his eyebrows at the firebender girl and offered a charming grin. Zuko rolled his eyes.

Thea looked at Sokka awkwardly and blinked a few times. "I'll go sleep outside altogether if you say that again." She shook her head slightly.

"Aww come on, don't break my heart like that," Sokka said, whining, a pout on his face.

Zuko shrugged a shoulder. "I don't care where I sleep," he muttered. "Just try not to embarrass yourself too badly?" he suggested to Sokka, shaking his head. "Didn't your parents teach you to respect women?" he muttered under his breath.

Sokka glared at Zuko. "Hey! I treat women with respect."

"Oh really?" Athlea chipped in playfully.

"Yes! I make them feel appreciated, loved, cared for. What do you do?" Sokka asked Zuko.

Zuko arched a brow, giving Sokka a look. "Don't you already have a girlfriend? You know, the moon or whatever?" he joked, lips curving into a slight smile. "I'm sure she felt really welcome. Welcome enough to turn into a spirit." He crossed his arms, smirking smugly.

"Hey! Don't insult her like that! She's precious. Besides, she would want me to move on!" Sokka said, crossing his arms and looking away, obviously annoyed.

"Can we not fight?" Aang said with a nervous smile as he looked at the two.

At Aang's word, Zuko looked away from Sokka, scratching his head. "Right. My bad."

"Does this happen daily?" Athlea asked, looking at Aang.

"Not... really." Aang scratched the back of his head nervously. His hand found a grip on Sokka. "Come on, let's go up and try to not make this any worse!" He started to pull on the Water Tribe boy, Athlea's icy gaze on them, watching. She was clearly intrigued. Zuko was watching as well.

"I'm not done with you!" Sokka called out.

"Come on." Aang kept dragging him away while Athlea watched in amusement.

***

A/N ugh... poor Sokka. i don't think he ever got over Yue. my poor little bby. sure he was very sad for not knowing her that long, but honestly, that's such a traumatic thing, like my girl was his first kiss and love. so sad. i love him. bit of a shorter chapter to make up for the last one, which ran a bit long bc none of them know how to shut up.