Chapter 62

Dai sat in her bed, taking a few deep breaths. She folded her legs, one hand in the other. She closed her eyes, slowing her breath.

It took her awhile to relax, but when she did, her mind floated away until she was in front of a pool, her sister floating above it wearing a white gown. "Sister," Dai greeted her warmly. Yue calmly stepped forward to hug her.

Dai and Yue separated, and Dai held her sister's hands; to anyone else, it would have looked like a girl and her reflection, but Dai recognized the parts of her and her sister that differed. Dai's nose was more even, and Yue's hair longer--now that she was in the spirit world, it swirled around her ankles, while Dai's went to the back of her knees. Yue was just the slightest bit taller, and Dai had long legs versus Yue's shorter ones. Yue's eyes were more gray-toned while Dai's were blue as the sky.

"I know why you're here," Yue said. "Dai--"

"He only sees you when he looks at me," Dai interrupted her. "How could he see anything else?"

Yue smiled. "He knew me for such a short time, Dai." She cupped her sister's cheek. "He's known you for years. You underestimate the depth of his personality, just as everyone does with Sokka, and if you allow that to happen you yourself become shallow. Besides, how could he mistake me for you? I was not only engaged and trying to be uninterested, but also I don't have your spirit, Little Piranha."

Dai's eyes grew teary as her sister called her by her childhood nickname. "How can he ever look at me and only see me, though?"

"Because we are different people." Yue hugged her sister, the outline of her body fading. "He loves you, Dai, not me."

Dai wiped a tear away quickly. "I miss you," she said softly. Her sister finally disappeared.

Dai slowly opened her eyes, blinking. She lay on her back, sighing, and closed her eyes for a moment, pulling the necklace from the armor underneath her dress. "Poor Sokka," she said, laughing softly. She put the necklace on, struggling to close the clasp for a second. She took another long drink from her flask.

A long while later, Sokka was walking down the hall, his head down and his hands in his pockets. All of the Water Tribe rooms were in the same wing of the Palace, so he was forced to walk past her room. Dai bit her lip, fiddling with the necklace chain before dropping it. "Sokka," she called softly, her voice high-pitched with nerves. She walked to her door frame, her eyes on him.

Sokka stopped, raising his head but looking forward rather than at her. "What is it?" he asked calmly. "Don't you need to sleep?" He turned to his door and opened it. "I'm pretty tired, and I'm guessing you are too," he said, still avoiding her eyes.

Dai bit her lip hard, rushing forward the few strides between their bedrooms. She put one hand just above the door handle, blocking him, the other resting on his chest as she looked up at him. He stopped, looking down at her. "I'm sorry," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't mean to snap at you, but--well, I did, that's the only way I could hide--" She paused, looking down and making a face. "I didn't mean what I said." She looked up at him, a forced grin on her face. "I totally want my sister's hand-me-down boyfriend," she said hesitantly.

Sokka side, his eyes moving away from her for a moment. He took a deep breath again, letting it out before looking back at her, his eyes settling on her smile and then the necklace. His eyebrows furrowed and he crossed his arms, meeting her eyes again. "Are you sure about that?"

Dai put her hands on his arms. "Sokka, I'm sorry," she said again, her eyes round. "I just--you have to understand how confusing this is for me, to swear that I'd never date you and then... And with my sister and us being basically twins..." She trailed off, her eyes flitting between his. She was quiet for a long moment, and then nodded a little. "I'm sure," she said quietly.

"I thought it was pretty obvious that I like you for you," he said with a sigh, looking again. Dai looked down at her shoes. He was quiet for a good amount of time before facing her. He blinked, a small smile adorning his features now. "We can talk in more detail tomorrow?" he suggested. He leaned down, kissing her cheek.

She blinked and looked back up at him, nodding. "Okay," she said softly, pulling her hands from his arms, her cheeks going pink. "Goodnight." She slipped from the door of his room, returning to her own, running her finger along the hem of her dress.

***

A/N vampire diaries has some ACTORS man gets my gears TURNING