𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 / 𝑬𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒘𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆

{ Song: bury a friend by Billie Eilish  }

── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──

The four walls around me keep me trapped inside a place that I don't recognise from neither imagination nor reality. The gloomy light is uneven and has a strange kind of flicker to it. The only window, that has a weird shape as well as no shape at all, doesn't show an outside on the other side of the glass as if it weren't clear, and it looks almost like the surface of a black lake. Every inch of the room looks as if it's covered in a layer of dust, and every object seems to be drained from colour and instead have a kind of transparent appearance.

"You've forgotten about me, haven't you?"

The words bounce like a very long, lingering echo between the walls that feel as if they are constantly moving around me. Shivers that feel like ice are shooting down my spine when I look up at the bright silhouette on the other side of the room. She doesn't have a face but I can somehow feel her stare lingering on my skin.

"Violet?" I ask hesitantly.

As soon as she turns to me, the faceless figure transforms into the one living thing that I least of all want to see. She's got a melancholy look in her eyes when they meet mine, but they are not blue and cold like Violet's. They are brown, warm and deep like Alice's.

"Alice? Who are you?" I say and try to make sense of the situation.

"We used to be best friends" she whispers and looks down at the ground, "Then you left, and now you don't even recognise me"

"You're not real" I whisper.

She looks up at me again, this time with eyes that have suddenly shifted to a bright and vivid blue. They begin to grow wider and wider, expanding quickly until they are large enough to cover at least half of her face and even then they continue to grow.

"It's time to tell the truth" she says and begins to smile emotionlessly at nothing at all.

Her empty, piercing eyes stare into mine as she moves towards me until we are only inches apart. Her smile continues to broaden until it reaches all the way from one side of her face to the other and it keeps getting wider and wider until I turn my eyes away from hers.

When I look back up, she is suddenly back on the other side of the room as if she had never moved. The surreal smile on her face has faded into an expression of sorrow, the massive eyes have shrunk back to their normal size and the icy blue has turned back into the warm shade of brown.

"How could you leave me? Why won't you come back?" she says with a trembling voice that struggles to hold back tears.

"This is just a dream" I mumble to myself.

I hold my hands out in front of me and count my fingers. Five on each hand. When I try to push one finger through my palm, nothing happens. As if out of nowhere, a mirror has appeared to my right and the reflection looking back at me shows my regular self without a single irregularity.

None of the reality checks help me prove to myself that none of this is happening. I desperately put my hand over my nose and mouth. If I'm still able to breathe, this is definitely a dream, but after only a few seconds it feels like I'm drowning and I gasp for air as my eyes flicker around the room in terror. I'm stuck, and there is no way out.

This can't be real.

"This is not your reality" the girl who is once again faceless says as she begins to walk in a circle around me, "You need to go back Nova. You don't belong here"