Chapter 2: Aston

I sat at my desk; my mind consumed by the impending business deal with The Knight Industries. Returning to New York was a strategic move for me, an opportunity to expand my company's reach and solidify my presence in the industry. Before me lay a sea of paperwork, but my thoughts drifted to the memories of my childhood.

I was fortunate to have been born into a family of successful entrepreneurs, my parents always busy with their respective businesses. My mother, with her jewellery business, and my father, with his own enterprise, rarely had time for anything beyond work. Dad was never really present in my life, his attention divided between his business dealings and his aspirations for my future. From a young age, he instilled in me the importance of showing minimal emotion, teaching me that the world was full of adversaries and that I must never let them see me falter. At just ten years old, I was already learning the art of concealing my feelings, burying them deep beneath a facade of indifference.

By the time I was fifteen, Dad had begun grooming me to take over his company, insisting that I was "born to be a businessman." I had little say in the matter, my interests and aspirations overshadowed by his ambitions for me. Despite their success, my parents were far from idealistic role models. While they provided me with everything money could buy, they could never give me the love and affection I craved.

However, I refused to rely on their wealth or connections to pave my path. Determined to forge my own destiny, I founded my own company, determined to make a name for myself on my own terms.

Glancing up from my thoughts, I noticed my secretary engrossed in her iPad, her movements betraying her unease. "Sir, the company's car should have arrived by now, but the Knight Industries' driver seems to be running late," she informed me, her voice tinged with concern.

Checking my watch, I confirmed that we were still early. "We're ahead of schedule. The driver is not late," I replied, my tone clipped and businesslike.

My secretary nodded silently, returning her attention to her device. My mind briefly drifted to the past, memories of the struggles I had faced to get to this point, the obstacles I'd overcome-
I felt a sudden, sharp pain pierce through my temples. It was as if a vice was tightening around my head, squeezing out every coherent thought. I grimaced.

not this shit again

My fingers instinctively reaching for the small pill bottle that I always kept in my pocket for moments like these. I popped a pill into my mouth, swallowing it down with a gulp of water. The relief was almost immediate, the throbbing in my head subsiding to a dull ache. I closed my eyes, taking a moment to collect myself before refocusing on the task at hand. I dont remember much from my past, and whenever I try to remember about it this happens.

I quickly pushed those thoughts aside, focusing once more on the task at hand.

Realizing the importance of being well-informed for the upcoming negotiations, I turned to my secretary. "What's the total number of users for Knight Industries' strategic project?" I asked, expecting a precise answer.

As she fumbled for an answer, my patience wore thin. When she eventually tapped some contents on her iPad and replied, " Almost 100 million sir."

Her response was disappointingly vague, and I felt a surge of frustration. "Almost?" I repeated, my tone betraying my impatience. I literally hated people who gave me vague answers.

The secretary quickly blurted out in a low voice " It's 97,875,600, sir."

Giving her a nod I ask her " What is the sex ratio?"
Her hesitation was evident as she scrambled to find the data. My impatience grew, my expectations clear. She started tapping on her iPad in search for the answer, while she was looking for the answer, I said in a stern voice "It's 67.5 and 32.5".

She quickly realised that she was late to answer the question, so when she heard my answer, she nodded her head vigorously and said "yes sir , that's the correct answer!".

What the hell?! The audacity?

I looked at her, raising my right eyebrow in a questionable look. Her subsequent error in attempting to correct my answer further aggravated me.

With that I snapped at her and dismissed her, "You can go, you are not suitable to be my secretary. You will not be an employee of Adam Industries and co."

With saying that, I started walking towards the sofa placed in the VIP airport lounge. Just when I took a seat on the sofa, my secretary

sorry, my ex-secretary

-said with a pleading tone " I'm really sorry sir. Please give me one more chance."
I turned towards her, holding no expression on my face, and said "I never give others second chance, there is only one reason for not being good enough. That is, you're not working hard enough. You can leave now because I don't like to repeat my words again."

Remind me again, who hired her?

Her pleas for another chance fell on deaf ears as I remained resolute in my decision while my security team escorted her out. I couldn't afford distractions and carelessness, especially not on the eve of such a crucial business deal. With a shake of my head, I banished the thoughts, refocusing my attention on the task ahead.

Just as I was about to immerse myself in preparation for the meeting with The Knight Industries, a waiter approached with two glasses of water. My gaze lingered on the glasses, ensuring that they were filled to the exact same level. Satisfied with the symmetry, I nodded in approval, my OCD tendencies momentarily appeased.

With a sense of determination, I made my way towards the pickup terminal. As I walked, my thoughts drifted to Alex's mention of his "best employee" picking me up from the airport—a notion that I found both amusing and intriguing. I couldn't help but wonder what was so "special" about her.

  huh, I'll see how perfect she is.

--------------------------------------------

Gosh who fires people for one mistake?!

Well, please do share your suggestions for this book. Till then, see ya...✌

 1040 words