Chapter 16: Ashton

Opening a new branch, especially in the bustling heart of New York, is no small feat. It's a strategic move, one that I've been planning for months. With the company merger and our latest project in full swing, every member of my team is under immense pressure.

This new branch isn't just about expanding our reach; it's about solidifying our presence in one of the most competitive markets in the world. The recent CEO summit reaffirmed the importance of our global shipping operations, but it also highlighted the challenges ahead. With shipping regulations tightening, securing the necessary permits will be crucial.

With the weight of these considerations bearing down on me, I press my fingers to my temples, trying to alleviate the stress. I reach for my pill box, relying on a small dose of medication to ease the tension. Closing my eyes for a moment, I attempt to find a moment of rest, but my break is interrupted by the ringing of my phone.

Seeing my mother's name on the caller ID instantly sours my mood. "Mom," I mutter under my breath.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Yea, that headache is going to be there for long, no amount of pill would kill this.

I knew exactly why she was calling. My mother rarely reached out, but lately, she'd been pestering me about marrying the daughter of one of her top buyers. It was hardly surprising; my mother had always been opportunistic, willing to exploit any avenue for profit. Her one true love was her jewellery business, just as my father's was his company. They both claimed they were doing it for "me."

I scoffed bitterly at the irony.

"For me?" yea sure.

I hadn't even taken over their businesses, and if I had my way, I'd distance myself from them entirely. The only thing preventing me was my nonna, who still held sway over me.
As the phone continued to ring, I watched it eventually go to voicemail, signalling a temporary reprieve from my mother's relentless pressure. But the relief was short lived as the phone started to ring again.

The phone's incessant ringing seemed to echo in the quiet of my office. With a resigned sigh, I finally relented and picked it up, the screen displaying the all-too-familiar name: "Mom."

Bracing myself, I answered, steeling against the impending barrage of pleas and demands. "Mom," I greeted, my tone betraying none of the frustration bubbling beneath the surface.

"Hello, Ashton, darling," her voice came through the line, saccharine yet tinged with an underlying urgency. "I've been trying to reach you. You haven't been returning my calls."

Her words grated against my nerves, but I forced myself to remain composed. "I've been busy with work, Mom," I replied, my voice tight with restraint. "You know how it is."

"Yes, yes, I understand," she responded, the false sympathy in her tone grating on my already frayed nerves. "But Ashton, there's something important we need to discuss. It's about your future."

I clenched my jaw, bracing for what I knew was coming next.

"And what, pray tell, is it this time?" I asked, unable to keep the bitterness from seeping into my words.

"It's about the Johnsons," she replied eagerly, launching into her latest matchmaking scheme. "Their daughter, Emily, is such a lovely girl, and her father has expressed a keen interest in merging our businesses. It would be a perfect match, Ashton."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

The last thing I needed was to be shackled to someone I barely knew for the sake of a business deal that wasn't even gonna profit me.