Chapter 13: Secrets Revealed! [Part 1]

*Willow's POV*

"There it is, Princess." Shrek said, pointing at the town of DuLoc from where we stood on a hill. "Your future awaits you."

I noticed Fiona held onto Shrek's arm. Of course I knew they were getting along, but now I have something to tease her with later.
On a serious note, I feel bad for Shrek because very soon, he'll have no choice but to let her go to Farquaad.

"That's DuLoc?" Fiona asked.

Zero sighed. "Unfortunately."

Donkey poked his head in between Shrek and Fiona, making Fiona release her hold on Shrek's arm instantly. "Yeah, I know. You know, Shrek thinks Lord Farquaad's compensating for something, which I think he has a really-OW!"

Shrek had stepped on one of Donkey's hooves to stop him from finishing his sentence. "Um, I, uh...I guess we better move on." Shrek shook his head and started walking away.

"Sure." Fiona spoke softly. "But, Shrek?"
Shrek stopped and faced Fiona, waiting for her to continue. "I'm...I'm worried about Donkey."

Shrek looked at Fiona confused and made his way back to us again. "What?"

"I mean, look at him." Fiona gestured to Donkey and shook her head. "He doesn't look so good."

Donkey gave Fiona a funny look. "What are you talking about? I'm fine."

She grabbed his jaw and made him look at her. "That's what they always say, and then...then next thing you know, you're on your back." Donkey raised an eyebrow questioningly at Fiona. "Dead." Donkey suddenly had a huge grin on his face.

"You know, she's right." Shrek started. "You look awful. Do you want to sit down?"

"You know what? I'll make you some tea." said Fiona before letting go of Donkey.

"Well, I didn't want to say nothin', but I got this twinge in my neck and when I turn my head like this. Look." Donkey bent his head in an awkward angle. When he did that, there was a disturbing sound of bones crunching. "Ow! See?"

Alice cringed, taking a step back. "That sounded pretty nasty."

"Who's hungry?" Shrek asked as he started walking away again. "I'll find us some dinner."

Fiona stood up and also started walking away, but in a different direction to Shrek. "I'll get the firewood."

"Hey, where you goin'?" Donkey asked with his head still left in an awkward angle. "Oh, man, I can't feel my toes." He put his head down to look at his hooves and shrieked. "I don't have any toes!" Hs ears flopped down slowly and sat on the grass, looking really sad. "I think I need a hug."

I couldn't help myself, so I took a seat next to him on his left, and Alice sat on his right. The both of us wrapped an arm around him comfortingly. "It's okay Donkey, you don't need toes when you've got hooves."

He looked up at me looking a little hopeful. "You really think so?"

Alice answered for me. "We know so. Cheer up, Donkey. Why don't you take a nap for a little bit? It's been a very long day, hasn't it?"