Chapter 12: Unexpected

The rush. The adrenaline. The excitement. The thrill.

I drifted through the streets like it was my own personal playground. I loved how the streetlights passed by in a glare. It was nothing but me, my car, and the road. We merged into one.

The place I once called home came into view. On the outside, you would think that it was owned by a loving family, but you would see the actual chaos on the inside. Isn't that how people are? Masking our messed-up selves behind a pretty exterior. It's funny how your household perfectly represents how you become the way you are.

I notice two men in expensive suits and weird masks standing next to an equally costly SUV from the corner of my eye. Clearly, neither the car nor the car owners belong in this neighborhood. I shrugged it off because it had nothing to do with me, so I thought.

I took out my keys, ready to enter hell. When I noticed the door was slightly open, "What the hell?"

I made my way through the entry hallway "Dad, are you home?" A small part of me wished he would answer.

No matter how much he hates me, he still would at least acknowledge my existence, even when he is flat-out drunk, sprawled out on the couch with empty beer cans scattered everywhere.

Faint footsteps could be heard coming from upstairs; now it makes sense those two guys outside were the lookout. "I have no idea who I am dealing with, but whoever it is, chose the wrong house to invade."

I gripped the familiar cold metal between the palms of my hands.

"Today's lesson is weaponized self-defense. If you can't prevent an attack, counteract it. Before we start, Y/N, please remind us of the four elements required for self-defense."

"Yes, Master J. The four elements for self-defense are an unprovoked attack, threat of imminent injury or death, and an objectively reasonable degree of force, used in response to an objectively reasonable fear of injury or death."

"Good job Y/N. Identifying the threat reduces the risk of casualties. During orientation, you all were told that every member of the Soldier Unit can choose a specialty such as being a sniper, bomber, etc. Still, everyone must know how to use a handgun."

"I'll take it from here, J. A gun should be the last resort of protection. If mishandled, it could be dangerous to others and yourself." Master Y.J. stepped forward, his handgun in his hand. "Always keep the safety on when not being put to use. Don't assume the gun is empty; there is always a bullet in the chamber. Most importantly, never ever aim the gun at yourself or others you do not intend to harm. Got it?"

"Yes, sir."

Y.J. always said your hands should fit together like a puzzle when holding a handgun. Quietly as possible, I cocked the gun, releasing the safety lock first. If someone else was here, I am sure those men outside probably already alerted them about me anyway.

Enough with this shit! "Whoever is in this house, I can ensure you are not welcome... so come out now At your own risk, of course." I yelled.

Silence...

Okay, if that's how they want to play, then fine by me. "What do I know so far? I know that there are two men outside and at least one person upstairs. But there's still no telling how many people are actually in the house. So, the logical thing to do is to remain on the first floor where multiple escape routes are accessible."

I silently walked down the hall towards the back of the house. To my right leads to the living room, and the kitchen to my left.

"Kitchen it is."

As I entered the kitchen, I saw a man wearing a white bunny mask embroidered in gold from the pots on the stove. "What the hell am I looking at right now?"

Taken a closer look, "Wait, where I have seen that mask before?"

He had his back towards a perfect time to take advantage of his vulnerability. Of course, shooting him would be quick and easy, but a few things raise concerns in me. One is being I don't know what he is doing in my house in the first place. He looks like someone of high status, mafia maybe, and shooting him will alert the others who came along with him. Three, this district is right in the center of a turf war between the Mafia and neighborhood gangs. The wrong move means the lives of all the decent people in this district. Their lives are literally in my hands.

I quickly came from my hiding spot, placing him in a chokehold. We tussled until he finally broke free "Fuck... you little bitch I'm going to kill you." he sneered, massaging his neck.

"You can try bunny boy." I taunted.

"Let's see how tough you really are, kitty?" He growled, then charged at me.

"Oh, you have no idea. How about we make this fair game."

"Fair game? You, a woman versus me, a man." He laughed.

"When you're done with caveman riddles and enter the modern world, I will give you a special tutorial on how you, a man, can be handled by me, a woman."

"Is that so? Amuse me then."

"Okay, how about hand-to-hand combat, no weapons."

He thought, "I'm down. Just know I won't take it easy on you, kitty."

"Wouldn't have it any other way, bunny boy."

We removed our weapons, never taking our eyes off of each other. Then, finally, he took off his mask. Why does he look so familiar?

He smirked. "What, like the view? Get a good look because I will be the face you see."

"Cocky bastard."

He swung unexpectedly, catching me off guard. I somehow managed to avoid the blow, but he swung again before I could completely settle my feet. This time I was able to catch his fist mid-swing. I pulled him forward, placed my backside in front of him, and used my hips to throw him over my shoulder.

He gasped on impact. "Is that really the best you got?"

He got off the ground angrily. "Not even close."

"Give me what you got, bunny boy."

"Don't regret it later, kitty."

We got into our fighting stance. This time I took the initiative. After what seemed like forever of delivering and receiving blows, I managed to jump on his back, placing him into a chokehold once again. He was slowly losing consciousness. Just as I was about to deliver my final blow, I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder.

"Aaa shit, who the fuck shot me?" I yelled out in agony, dropping to the ground.

"Y/N!"