Chapter 4: Becoming Me

It's been a week since the graduation ceremony. The very next day I got a phone call from Mr. Park offering me a job interview that's scheduled for tomorrow.

I walked into my favorite past time, De Café. Glancing left and right trying to find my brothers. This café has gotten me through some incredibly early mornings and some extremely late nights. During the day, the air is thick with the aromatic dreams that draws in writers and studious students. But at night, jazz pours out of the open doors along with the aroma of fresh baked lasagna.

The day after graduation, I got a phone call from Mr. Park offering me a job interview. A week later and a day before my interview, I glanced around De Café in hopes of spotting my family. We would often meet here, helping each other find ways to improve our lives. We are each other's best doctors and medicine combined.

De Café has gotten me through some incredibly early mornings and late nights. During the day, the air is thick with the aromatic dreams that draw in writers and studious students. Still, at night, jazz pours out of the open doors, and the aroma of fresh-baked lasagna. The coffee, the music, and the smile of someone who cares is a fragment of heaven, a chance to enjoy the company and start to want more.

"Y/N-AH, OVER HERE," Percy yelled while waving his hands back and forth, gaining my attention.

The level of secondhand embarrassment I felt was unimaginable. I could feel the judgmental glares from the other customers as I walked past them.

"My Little Prince, was it necessary to yell across the café like that?" I asked, taking the vacant seat next to him.

He gave me an apologetic look. "Sorry, I just missed you. It's been over two weeks since we actually spent some time together."

I ruffled his hair. "I missed you too. How did the mission go, Hongjoong?"

Kim Hongjoong is the leader of the Night Stalkers; under him are Song Mingi, Jung Wooyoung, Choi San, Jeong Yunho, Choi Jongho, Park Seonghwa, and Kang Yeosang. They serve under him as consiglieres, underbosses, or caporegimes.

Down Memory Lane

Before meeting Jennie, Jisoo, Lisa, and Rose', fate guided my bruised body to a dark alley.

It was nine years ago, the beginning of spring, April 23. It was my thirteenth birthday, the day I was entering the teen stage. A day that was supposed to be joyous turned tragic. My father took it upon himself to give me his best gifts, a black eye, and a bloody nose.

It wasn't the first time he raised his hands against me, but it was the worse. The first time he became abusive was a year after my mother's and brother's death. I was only nine years old back then but already subjugated to neglect. Dad had become an alcoholic. He couldn't stomach that he had failed to protect his family. So finally, coming to his wit's end, he focused his anger and frustration on the nearest target. Sadly, that was me.

I had hoped that he would realize his mistakes and change for the better, but it just got worse over time. He forgot me and turned to drugs, alcohol, and gambling to cope with his pain. He became mentally unstable and blamed me for their deaths. I knew he wished it was me who died that night instead of them for some sick twisted reason. Even though he never verbally said it, actions speak louder than words. His efforts were screaming pure hatred and resentment towards an innocent child that couldn't even remember life before the accident. He reminded me of how much of a disappointment I was in him every chance he got. The audacity of that pathetic excuse of a father.

Little did he know years of living in unforgivable torment made me numb to his unfair infliction. A numbness that will take years to rehabilitate. It felt like I was nothing more than a walking corpse for a while. But then, I became a spirit of the night, someone who engulfed myself in the darkness.

That night was the worse. After his rage, I ran as far as my limbs would take me. I made a wrong turn at the right time. I wasn't scared; fear had no room in my life.

Leaning against the walls of the grim alley stood eight boys who had to be at least seventeen. "What's a little a girl like you doing on this side of town? Aren't you supposed to be somewhere studying?" one of the older-looking boys asked mockingly.

I didn't bother to answer him. I was at my breaking point. If they were to harm me, I wouldn't have fought back. The fight in me vanished a long time ago.

A boy, already six feet at his age, gripped me by my arm, "When a man asks you a question, you are to answer him."

I wanted to laugh in his face, seriously, the nerve of this teenage boy. "Under what law?" I asked blankly, looking him in his eyes.

They all gasped after seeing my face. At first, I didn't know why they were looking at me with so much worry, concern, and something I hate the most, pity. It wasn't until I saw a reflection of myself in a shattered mirror near a dumpster. Then, I remembered the horrific event that took place earlier tonight night. It's funny how the shattered mirror reflected my shattered soul.

He gently held my face. "What in the hell happened to you?"

I looked at him confused, wondering where his earlier displayed arrogance disappeared. "I lived." Looking away, I answered him quietly

They took a few steps from me. "I think the girl is being abused, Hongjoong, " one whispered.

"She is a forgotten soul; there is no doubt about it. I think we should take her with us," he whispered back.

"Uh, Hongjoong is it, and-"

"Wooyoung."

"Hmm, Hongjoong and Wooyoung. You do know I can clearly hear you both, right? And what makes you think I would go anywhere with complete strangers?"

The guy named Hongjoong tucked his hands in his pockets. "One, you need to get cleaned and have your wounds attended to. As a young lady, you shouldn't be walking around these streets so late. You will be the perfect target for sick people who prey on fragile girls like yourself. Also, you don't want to go home, so what other option do you have but to come with us where you would be safe and cared for?"

He's right; there's no way I am going back to that house with that man being in a drunken rage. So, my only option is the follow these strangers "If anything happens to me, I will make sure my spirit haunts you for the rest of your lives."

He chuckled, raising his hands in surrender. "We wouldn't want that, now, would we?" he gave off an overprotective brother vibe.

For about ten minutes, we walked in comfortable silence. Then, one of the younger-looking boys, around my age or younger, suddenly spoke to me, "You look like you are in a lot of pain. I can carry you if you want."

I let out a deep sigh. "I haven't felt pain in a long time. Thanks for the offer, but I can manage."

I could tell he wanted to ask questions but didn't want to pry. "No problem, oh, and my name is Choi San, but you can call me whatever you would like."

I giggled. "Your name sounds like royalty, a little Prince."

He pumped out his chest "Little Prince? I like that."

"Oh no, I think his ego just skyrocketed." Wooyoung teased.

"I don't think we have formally introduced ourselves. My name is Choi Jongho. I am the youngest of the group. You already know Kim Hongjoong, Jung Wooyoung, and our newfound Prince Choi San. That's Park Seonghwa, Kang Yeosang, and the big softy who wants to appear tough is Song Mingi."

Mingi gave me a shy smile. "Sorry about earlier."

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's fine. I didn't take you much of a threat anyway."

Yeosang threw his arm over my shoulder. "Savage, I like her already. I don't think we ever got your name, shorty."

I looked at Yeosang, maybe a foot taller than me. "Y/N, Jung Y/N."

"Nice to meet you, Jung Y/N." Hongjoong gave me a warm smile.

Maybe following them was the right decision.