Chapter 37: Mafia Banquet

With a smile engraved on my face, I wondered how my Queen would present herself tonight. The anticipation of her standing on that red carpet in all her essence is agonizing. I can feel the jealousy rise within me, thinking about how other men will be gawking their lustful eyes on my woman. I can her mocking me now "Jealous much, King?" I giggled to myself.

What did I do to be blessed with such a wonderful woman in my past life? The love I have for her is undying. Some would call it bewitching. Others may question my love, claiming it to be puppy love. To hell with them.

Is this what my father was talking about? Is this the same love he had for my mother? My father used to tell me stories about him and my mother in their younger years. She was a robust and innocent woman with a pure heart, something that was nonexistent in his world. Even though she was taken from me at a young age, I was lucky enough to be loved by her unconditionally. She had a smile that could brighten a room and a laugh that could heal the world. The void that once engrossed my heart is now filled by the feeling I've missed and longed for.

"Does he always smile like that? It's kind of creepy." Wooyoung whispered, but I heard him.

"No, but I know who he is thinking about," Seokjin whispered back.

I cleared my throat. "You do know I can hear you, right."

They laughed. "So, how does this work?" Mingi asked.

"What, the banquet?" he nodded his head.

"Even though this is one of the biggest Mafia banquets, just think of it as a normal business party amongst the biggest companies," Namjoon answered.

Jimin snickered. "Yeah, except that everyone there will be armed and dangerous, the illegal private auctions, and under the table gambling, it's pretty much normal," he said sarcastically.

Mingi perked up, "Illegal auction?" I could see his eyes dim in anger.

"Mingi, calm down," Yunho warned.

I looked around to see Jimin and Namjoon just as confused about his sudden behavior as I was.

Jongho cleared his throat. "Sorry about Mingi. Before joining Nightstalker's, Mingi, Yunho, and I were a three-member group that raided illegal auctions hosted by the rich and famous. It disgusted us how they flaunted their money around when people were hungry and starving on the streets. So, you can say illegal auctions are a bit of a trigger for us."

I nodded my head in understanding. "With illegal actions, anything is up for grabs, whether it be timeless artifacts, precious jewels, or worse, people. I'm not saying it's right, but personally; we don't condole in such activities. It's not really our thing."

"Aren't you the Mafia king? Can't you stop it?" San asked.

I thought about the proper response "After taking the position as Mafia King, my first mission was to eliminate the human trafficking businesses. But it turned out to be more complicated than expected. I learned early on that you should never take food from a starving man's mouth."

"What does even mean?" Seonghwa grunted.

Malaki sucked his teeth. "It means people would do anything to keep food in their mouths."

Jake nodded his head. "More or less. Taking away a clan's way of living can cause an uproar. Alliances are also built through trading goods between Mafia clans. Not justifying anything, it's just the way our world operates, which is part of the reason why Mafia's get such a bad rep."

"Another thing you should know is because Yoongi is unwedded, he doesn't have the full respect of the Elders. Which both is and isn't a big deal. The Elders are just what they are, the oldest Mafia's who passed down their positions. The Elders have no authority, but in retrospect, if Yoongi fails in getting their full trust, this can cause a problem down the line." Taehyung explained.

"Don't get us wrong, the respect and fear are still there, but it is believed a good King becomes great with Queen by his side. Even in chess, the King is powerless without the Queen." Jungkook added.

Seonghwa snickered. "Well, if you're planning on making Y/N your Mafia Queen, you will have the Underground alliance making you the most powerful man in the world."

Out of curiousness, I leaned forward and asked, "How would I marrying Y/N make me that powerful?"

"Because the Six Originals who scouted and saved us treat us like their own children, but Y/N is a protégé, a born leader. She is their apprentice, next in line to take over. It could have been one of us, but we all thought she would better fit the position." Malaki explained.

I looked at him, confused. "I constantly keep hearing you guys mentioning the Originals. Who are they?"

They looked back and forth before Yeosang sighed and responded, "Out of respect, we can't tell you. So, you will have to meet them in person. Which will have to be soon since you're dating their precious daughters."

They have such high respect for them, just who are these Originals? I wanted to pry more out of them, but the driver informed us that we had arrived. "I guess we'll have to finish this lovely conversation on a later day."

Jungkook adjusted his jacket. "I will lead the way. We have many enemies who will be on edge tonight. I have my people inside, but you can never be too safe at these events."

He had his people sweep the area before stepping out of the limo like a bodyguard. He scanned the crowd to see any signs of suspicious behavior. After getting the okay from his people, Jungkook signaled us to get out of the limousine. We were greeted by flashing cameras.

"Is it always like this?" Hongjoong asked.

"Yes." Hoseok simply answered.

The flash began irritating me. I held my hand up, signaling them to stop taking pictures.

"That was so cool, the power of a King." San awed.

I chuckled, "Partially."

Everyone suddenly went silent, their attention geared behind us. I was confused until I turned around to see ten glamourized women stepping out of the limo, but only one stood out to me. My girl stood in front and truly looked like a Queen in her beautiful red dress and subtle makeup. She scanned the crowd, searching for me. When we made eye contact, it felt like the world had stopped.

...it was just her and me.