Chapter 20: Jungkook's Acceptance

I jumped around the ring, getting my muscles loosened. Y/N and I stared each other down, reading each other's movements, contemplating the next move.

"Don't tell me you are already chickening out on me?" she provoked.

Damn, how I wished I didn't fall for the bait. I charged at Y/N only to be taken down by her kicking me in the chest. The wind got knocked out of me on impact. I didn't have time to recover before receiving a sidekick to the face, making me land on my ass in two swift movements. I would be lying if I said that shit didn't hurt.

"Ouch," I mumbled, staggering to my feet.

"Take your time. I have all day sweet cheeks." she teased.

She is so annoying. I smacked my boxing gloves together, ignoring the stars flying around my head. I charged at her again, not giving her enough time to calculate my movements. I tapped her shoulder, knocking her off balance, and followed it with a right downward punch making her fall. Still, she quickly rebounded with an amusing fire in her eyes.

We kept exchanging blows until she finally knocked me down again.

"Another round?"

After fifteen rounds, we laid down in the ring, trying to catch our breath in blissful silence. She totally kicked my ass, but I wouldn't dare admit that to her.

"I don't believe my mother and brother actually died in a car accident." she suddenly said.

"Mind continuing."

"Like I told you before, I don't have any clear memories of my life before the accident. But I am willing to bet that it was something far worse than a car accident. What was so traumatic that my brain decided to hide my memories in the most unreachable, most vacant place in the back of my mind? What was so bad that my mind saw fit to protect me from my own memories. Do you know what it feels like to know your existence but not know why?"

My heart cried out for her. "Wait, so you're telling me you're missing the most important part of your life, childhood memories."

"Yes, and you want to know what's even more fucked up? There wasn't even a funeral to commemorate them. Sometimes I feel that there were never bodies to be buried in the first place."

She's not making any sense. "If you felt that way, why didn't you ever look into it?"

"I was young and naive back then. I wondered why anybody would lie about something like that. As time went on, I grew suspicious about what happened that night. But it was a dead-end from the beginning. No medical records, no news articles, nothing. There was nothing. Who am I? Who was I? These Are the most frequent questions I ask myself. Do you know what that can do to a child, to a person?"

I looked up to the ceiling, knowing exactly how she felt. "I was a boy abandoned by his real parents and ostracized by his adopted parents. I know exactly what you mean. I wondered, what was so wrong with me that not a single person wanted me? Somehow fate led me to the Crimson Gang and Yoongi. He gave me a family and purpose."

She chuckled. "What's funny?"

"Nothing, it's just, I met people who took me in and made me strong. They were the light to my gloomy night."

"I want to meet the people that created this monster," I said, slightly shoving her.

She shoved me back. "You will meet them sooner than you think."

"Can't wait."

I laughed, but it slowly died down as I thought destiny sure has a funny way of linking self-paths together. Some are just for the passing of the moment. Others go half the journey before breaking off at an intersection. But then it's the few paths that merge with yours, giving you a broader view of what's up ahead.

"What are you thinking, Jungkook?"

"You were a vulnerable, innocent child. Shouldn't a father protect his child?"

"Am I really his child? After my mother and brothers' "death," my so-called father neglected me. He became an abusive alcoholic and drug addict. He put the blame on me. I knew he wished I had never been born. He quoted it daily like some sick twisted mantra. His actions were screaming the pure hatred and resentment he had towards me. He never missed a chance to remind me of how much of a disappointment I was to him, the audacity of that prick!"

I shook my head. "You were suffering from the same loss, no worse; you don't even have memories of them. How can a parent be so heartless to their child?"

"So many questions, not enough answers. What about you? Your parents abandoned you? You suffered. We never understand the mind of a broken person and what people think when they inflict their pain on the innocent. The only time he smiled was when he was hurting me. He was happy, so I didn't say anything for years. I felt like I was nothing more than a walking corpse. I was thirteen when I realized that what he was doing to me was wrong. So, I finally fought for myself. I vowed to never let anyone ever hurt me again."

She laughed, but I could hear the pain that hides deep within, a pain that I am awfully familiar with. Maybe, that's why I feel close to her.

"Life is so fucked up, isn't it? I hate when people say bullshit like things happens for a reason. Why can't we just admit that some people are just selfish assholes that can't cope with their own misery? So, they inflict their bitterness on others. Most times, the infliction is towards the those who can't or are too scared to defend themselves."

"People are humongous assholes." There was a brief silence. "Hey, Kook?"

"Oh, so we're on nickname bases without the mocking now."

She laughed. "Shut up."

"What?" I said with amusement.

"You're not that bad." She said without looking at me.

I smirked. "Are you confessing to me now?"

"Shut up, bunny boy."

"Are we really going there again?" I rolled my eyes.

She snickered. "What did I say something wrong?"

"Whatever, kitty."

"We better head back before the others get worried. And you stink,"

"Like you smell any better." I put her in a headlock and watched her struggle to get out.

"Eww, let go of me before I make you regret it." I laughed at her cuteness.

She gagged. "Disgusting!"

I stood up, stretching out my hand to her. "Let's go, sis."